Chapter 39 - Fortress of Doom

Magsimula sa umpisa

Lena looked between me and the armour a few times. She walked over to me and sat down next to me.

"Luv, you said you wanted to rid yourself of it all, what did you mean by that?"

"I wanted to die, and I still do. Nothing will let me make up for what I've done. I'm responsible for billions of innocent deaths, all because of my incompetence. I want to just rid myself of all consciousness, but I know I can't, so while I am alive, I try to fight for what's right, because while I can't remove my burden, I can keep it where it is."

Lena hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. I smiled at her and hugged her tightly. Tears started forming in my eyes as I did so. I looked back at the armour before turning to Lena and smiled.

"No matter how much I wanted to die, I'm so glad I didn't. Every action I did back then has led to me meeting you, and that's the best thing that could have happened. Lena, in this point in time, you're the only reason I have for being in this realm. If it weren't for you, I'd be in hell by myself killing demons all day every day, but thanks to you, that's all different now, and I don't want it any way else."

Lena looked at me and smiled.

"Sadly though Lena, you'll eventually come to an end. There will be a point when you'll die, and our kids will die, and their kids will die. I'll see it all happen, hopeless to it all, because in the end, the only thing which doesn't fear me is time."

Samuel Hayden looked at me weirdly like he was about to say something, but stopped and walked away.

"Don't think about the future luv, live in the present. Enjoy the moment. Live with me and enjoy every second of it, because, as you said, it will eventually come to an end."

I began crying just thinking about Lena dying. She meant more to me then anybody else ever could do, and the fact that I'd have to witness her die and live for eternity without her would just destroy me more then anybody would think possible.

"Luv, don't cry." Lena said as she hugged me. "One day, after I'm gone, you'll find somebody just like me and you'll be able to relive it again."

"But will they be the Lena Oxton, the one who changed the doom slayer, the one who had the power to control the most powerful being across dimensions, the one who's turned the doom slayer from an emotionless savage to a caring titan? No, and that's what I'm scared of."

Lena sat there and frowned. We both knew that I would have to live for eternity without her, yet neither of us knew that it didn't have to be without her.

Hayden pov

(Y/n) was talking to Lena about the seraphim and the divinity machine. He was talking about how the divinity machine gave him immortality and how he'd have to witness Lena passing. I wanted to tell him the truth about the seraphim and the divinity machine, but I needed to know whether I could trust Lena with such power. Vega had told me that she had an incorruptible heart and was an irresistible force of good, yet I needed to test her for one final question, did she have the mental capacity and would she cope?

(Y/n) and Lena stood up and started walking off. I stopped (y/n).

"(Y/n), I would like to talk to you, privately." I said as I turned to Lena. She frowned and walked off. Me and (y/n) walked back over to (y/n)'s suit.

"What is it Hayden?" (Y/n) asked.

"Slayer, this may come as a shock to you or you may already know, but I was once the seraphim. My mind as Dr Samuel Hayden was merged with that of the seraphim since I was the only one who was deemed to have the mental capacity capable of withstanding such knowledge."