The Wicked Day

You sighed as you stared out of the window from the physician's chambers. People were performing in the streets. They were arriving to celebrate Arthur's birthday. It was going to be a pain to get things with the streets crowded. You probably weren't going to stay late for Arthur's feast and entertainment. As soon as you finished, you started to leave in hopes that you'd beat the crowds home.

"Y/N!" you heard a voice call. You turned and saw your husband heading towards you.

"Hello, my love." you said, embracing him when he got close enough. He chuckled and hugged you back.

"Going home already?" he asked. You nodded.

"I don't really feel like sticking around. I also don't think I can." you said.

"Why wouldn't you be allowed to?"

"Because I'm not important enough." Gwaine gave you an upset look.

"What do you mean not important enough?"

"I'm just a physician's assistant. I won't serve there. I also won't be a guest." you explained. Gwaine nodded.

"Should I go home with you then?" he asked. You smiled at him and shook your head.

"No. Go enjoy tonight." you said. Gwaine looked hesitant but decided to do what you said. He did still walk you home as he did everyday, before he left for the castle again.

Gwaine got home late that night from the celebration. He was obviously drunk. You let out a sigh as you helped him through the house.

"I knew I should've told someone to watch your alcohol intake." you mumbled. Gwaine just let out some laughter, not processing a thing you said. You helped him get into bed and the two of you finally went to sleep.

The next day, when you arrived at work, you informed that Uther had been gravely injured that night. You and Gaius were checking the king's wounds to see how bad they were.

"Can he be treated?" Arthur asked.

"The blade touched his heart. He's bleeding inside." Gaius said.

"There must be something that you can do." Arthur said. You shook your head. The only way Uther would survive this was if magic was used.

"It's a matter of time. I'm sorry, Arthur." Gaius told him.

Later that evening, Merlin informed you and Gaius that Arthur was thinking about using magic to heal Uther.

"Merlin, please tell us that you're not going to do this." Gaius said.

"I'd be lying if I said no." Merlin said. You let out a disappointed sigh.

"Merlin, it's dangerous." you said.

"Arthur didn't recognize me last time I used the aging potion." he said.

"You were nearly burned at the stake." Gaius countered.

"If I heal Uther with magic, Arthur might see magic as a force for good." Merlin argued.

"Or it goes horribly wrong and Arthur hates magic even more!" you argued back.

"If it works we won't have to hide!"

"And if it doesn't? What then? We never get to use magic freely! Uther is going to die and you shouldn't tamper with his fate!" you snapped. Merlin opened his mouth to argue with you, when the door opened. The three of you stared at it. Gwaine popped his head in and immediately sensed the tense atmosphere.

"Did I come at a bad time?" he asked.

"No, you came at a wonderful time. I was just getting ready to leave." you said. You grabbed your things and headed towards the door.