War

Zuko

"We're going to Ba Sing Se?" I ask, kind of baffled, landing Appa on June and Nyla's tails when they stop at the destroyed city walls.

"Your uncle's somewhere behind the walls," June says, restraining Nyla for her not to dig past the rocks and rubbish. "Nyla's getting twitchy so he can't be far," she directs Nyla to turn in the direction we all came from. Preparing herself for leaving, I know. Points for her for becoming decent enough of a person to say good-bye. "Good luck."

And then she exits.

So helpful! So June!

"It's been a long day," I tell the others, "Let's camp and start our search again at dawn."

"As you order, valiant leader!" Toph does not put much of a fight against taking a rest. She climbs off of Appa and raises a three-wall earth-tent on the ground.

"Hey!," Sokka cries out after her, "I thought I was the team's leader!"

"What kind of idiot would name you the leader?"

"He named himself the leader," Katara explains sarcastically, climbing off of Appa as well.

"That explains it."

Sokka pouts.

If I was further interested in watching Suki console him, I would keep witnessing this exchange. But I'm not. So I jump off of Appa, landing perfectly on my feet.

When I turn to him, Appa makes a soft half-roaring, half-crying sound and approaches me, a bit unnerved, as if he knows there's something wrong going on and is looking for me to console him. I just place a hand on his head. (I wish I could console him, but I'm not the type to say things are okay when they clearly are not.) (And I don't make promises of fixing them when I'm not sure that I know how.)

"Penny for your thoughts?" Katara comes close to me, petting Appa, too.

"I think my thoughts are worth more than a penny."

She smirks. "You know what I mean."

"It's just...," I trail off, "It looks like we are just in the middle of a giant mess. I never thought we would get to this day being so unprepared."

"Yes, I know," she agrees thoughtfully. "I always knew this day would come, but now that it is here it feels unreal. It shouldn't happen like this. Without Aang."

"I don't think there's a way wars should happen," I say, removing my hand from Appa, "But I know that when they come, they are big and vast. What can the five of us do against something like that?"

"Are you saying you don't think we stand a chance?" Katara arches an eyebrow at me.

"No! That's not..." I growl and pinch the bridge of my nose. "Ugh! I don't know what I'm saying."

"I think I do," she says, coming even closer to me. I feel her hand rubbing my shoulder. Comfortingly, as she always does. "Zuko, it's okay to have doubts sometimes, we don't always know how things will outcome, but it is on those times that our faith has to be stronger than ever. Sokka told me what you said about failing and keep trying. I believe you were right at that time, and we all need you to keep believing that now."

I reach and hold her hand, pressing it tighter against my shoulder. "Thank you, Katara."

"Hey!" Sokka calls us out from behind Appa. "Are you two love-birds gonna make out all night or are we gonna sleep?"

"Shut up, Sokka!" Katara and I yell in unison.

He shrugs so obnoxiously nonchalant that makes me want to strangle him right here and now. (This must be how Katara feels most of the time.)

"We do have to go to sleep now, we need plenty of rest," I say, letting go of Katara's hand.

"Yes," she agrees, quietly.

Appa lays right on the spot, more exhausted than any of us. (It's understandable, we aren't the ones that flew kilometers carrying five teenagers all over the Earth Kingdom.) We all nestle on his fluffy legs and tail; except for Toph, who apparently prefers the ground of her tent. "Good night, everyone," I say.

"Good night, Zuko."

"Good night, Zuko."

"Good night, Sparky."

"Good night, Katara," I say to her once she's lying with her eyes closed next to me.

"Good night, Zuko."