“You think after betraying my trust and breaking my heart into hopeless pieces, I’d be that stupid to entrust myself to you in such a vulnerable condition? I’d be damned!”

“Fine,” she said as she took her bag. “Go on brooding; whenever you get tired of it and you want to talk, you know where to find me. I don’t think I even have the time and energy to take on a blind invalid right now. Bye, Teddy.”

“Good riddance; I don’t want to ever see you again!”

“I doubt you ever would,” she blew back and walked out of the room. The nurse entered.

“Ready for breakfast?”

“Yes please; give me the richest one you have. I need to celebrate this moment.”

“Let me guess, she’s the one you got that ring for, right?”

“No, she’s not; thank God. Please get me the food; I’m famished.”

“I’ll be right back,” she said and excused herself.

She got settled and began to feed Ted.

“Hmm….tastes good,” he remarked.

“Yeah? At least hospital food is not as bad as many people think.” He chuckled.

“You’ve been really nice to me, nurse. I really appreciate it.”

“Oh don’t mention it; it’s my job. And my name is Lucia.”

“Lucia…that’s a lovely name. How long have you been working here?”

“Not too long; it will be exactly 3 months this Friday.”

“I see. I can sense you have a very calm personality. It is admirable.”

“Thanks, Ted. Now eat something.” She fed him a few times. Someone knocked on the door. Dr. Grant entered.

“Good morning to both of you. How are you doing this morning, Ted?”

“I’m feeling much better, thanks doctor.”

“Good to know. I can see you’ve a good appetite this morning.”

“Yeah, my lovely nurse here makes it all easy for me.”

“Good to know.”

“Any news about my sight, doctor? Any chance that I might regain it soon?”

“That is why I’m here actually. We need to run more tests today so when you’re done eating, your lovely nurse will get you ready.”

“Okay, thank you.”

“Don’t mention. Get him ready in twenty minutes, nurse.”

“Yes doctor.”

“I can’t wait to regain my sight so I can see you, Lucia.”

“And why is that?”

“Because I can’t wait to put a face to the name and voice, that’s why.” Lucia smiled.

Ted woke to hear some whispers around him.

“What’s going on here?”

“Sorry to have woken you up, Ted. I’m here with Dr. Abbey. We were discussing the results of your test.”

“Ok, let’s hear it. What did you find?”

“I don’t know how to make it sound any better but the truth is, it’s gone, Ted.”

“What do you mean it’s gone?” Ted asked, his heartbeat starting to race.