Recovery

Waking up to a pristine, white hospital room is like listening to foreign people talk. You have no idea what is happening, and that's exactly how I felt.

I looked down at my arm and saw an IV lodged near a large blue vein. My skin had a purple tint and there were numerous scratches up and down my body. The room was silent except for the constant beeping of my heart monitor. I looked out the window and saw a solid downpour coming down. I began to doze off but I was interrupted by a nurse in mint green scrubs came in to check on me.

"Hi hunny. How are you feeling?"

"How'd I get here?"

"That's not what I asked, sweetie."

"Answer my question."

A look of fear crossed her face. I hadn't meant to come out this hostile but it just happened. All I wanted to do is see my family and have them tell me everything was alright.

"You were in an accident."

"I was?"

"Yes, and you had someone with you. Do you remember who that was?"

I scrunched my eyebrows together but quickly stopped because a strong pain erupted from my forehead. I thought for what seemed like years before the nurse broke my silence.

"His name was Kale. He was a friend of yours."

All of a sudden the accident flashed before my eyes. We were in the car the rain coming down. I turned to look into his soulful eyes and he took my face and pressed it into his. No worries of crashing crossed my mind. All I could think of was how much I loved him.

"How is he?!" I screeched out of nowhere.

"He's in the ICU, but don't you worry we'll treat him with the best care."

"I want to see my parents." My voice cracked and tears began to roll down my face. What had I done? My parents would be furious. They'd finally trusted me and I went off and screwed up. My parents walked in there eyes swollen and red. My dad had bags under his eyes and my mom was in a robe her hair pulled in a messy pony tail. They rushed forward and hugged me. Just feeling there heat made me feel better.

"I'm sorry." I finally managed.

My mom took my hand in hers and squeezed it. She smiled a un-sure smile while my father sank into an armchair head in hands.

"What's wrong? I'm fine don't you see? I feel normal and I'll pay for the car! Don't worry, I have money in my--"

"We aren't worrying about you.. Anymore."

"Then what's wrong?"

"Kale, he's not doing to well," my mom whispered. "He's suffering from hypothermia and is in a coma."

"But the nurse said he was fine! She lied!" I began to pull of the machines and kick things. Before I knew it my mom hit the nurse button and they came in to restrain me. My lip was bloody and had stained the light blue hospital gown I was wearing. Tired and worn out I lied down and closed my eyes. After 20 minutes my mom whispered to my dad and they left the room shutting the door behind them quietly.

I opened my eyes and looked out the deep bay window. The rain was still coming down but it was soft and you could see for miles into the city. Skyscrapers littered the city and cars were at every avenue and street corner. The wind began to blow and it made a sad whistling noise. The rain was faint and sounded like crying. Even the clouds were crying for Kale. I felt terrible, a large lump was growing in my throat. I was unable to cry so I just that there with a frown on my face.

I sat there all day and when lunch came they brought me a tray filled with turkey, red jello, potato chips, an apple, and a milk. I had barely nibbled on the turkey when the came to pick it up. I found a remote next to my bed and turned it on. I flipped to the news. The first thing I saw broke my heart.

"A young boy was killed late yesterday afternoon. His name was Kale Hayes and he was a baseball player from Kearney Highschool. He died in a car accident near a stream in the car with his possible girlfriend."

How could Kale be dead and no-one had came to tell me? It was devastating to see his big happy face on screen flashing a brilliantly white smile with no worries in the world. He was gone forever and it was all my fault. I had taken a life away from the world just because of a single kiss. It hurt to know that I'd never turn around in the hallway again and by surprised by him. If I could use one word to describe this feeling it would be hollow. No tears came, or signs of regret. I just sat there staring blankly at the tv not even paying attention when something caught my attention.

"The trial for Kale's girlfriend will be Wednesday and the judge will establish a reason for the accident and get justice for Kale."

I turned off the tv and threw the remote. It exploded on the floor and the battery's rolled in opposite directions. For some reason it reminded me of the accident, maybe the fact that Kale was gone and one battery had rolled under a purple armchair. Gone forever.

Hours had gone by and I spent the whole time sitting in my bed thinking about the case. My parents had practically shunned me and the whole news network had decided I was guilty. Tears swelled in my eyes, I hadn't meant to kill Kale, I didn't even cause the accident. Outside the hospital window news vans and shrines were set up for Kale. As I looked around I saw a sign that said "JAIL THE GIRL." At first, it made no sense to me. But after thinking about it, the person was talking about me.

A sudden urge of energy hit me. I jumped up and ripped out my IV. I grabbed a pair of shorts out of my overnight bag along with a sweatshirt. Dropping my hospital gown in a wastebasket I started to run and i had to creep by different nurses and doctors. My bones were sore and my vision was blurred, but I kept running. Turning the last corner I found the front doors. No-one was at the counter so I slipped out of the doors into the frigid air. Immediately the camera crews rushed over as if they had a GPS on me. I avoided them and made a bee-line towards the young man holding the sign. I reached the curb and there he was standing there with the meanest look in his face. I recognized him at once, he was Kale's Bestfriend. I began to speak and came closer. I relaxed thinking he was giving me a hug, but before I knew it he was slapped my face and pushed me to the ground. My face stung and tears poured out of my eyes. My hands were scraped from the concrete. People began to chase after him, but by the time they reacted he'd piled into a red truck and drove off. The sky suddenly turned dark and my hearing was getting quiet. Before I'd knew it I was passed out cold on the pavement. Heart and face broken.