fifteen

FEBRUARY 19, 1991. OLYMPIA, WASHINGTON.

EVIE LAYS ON Dave's bed, mindlessly tracing patterns on his soft cotton sheets while he paces around the room, cleaning up while explaining to Evie how their recording dates for the album keep on getting pushed back.

"They originally said March, now they're saying April which in their world really means May," Dave says exasperatedly.

"It'll happen soon enough, at least you guys have some more time to prepare before you go to LA," Evie says calmly, searching for the positive.

"But we're ready now. We've been ready for months," Dave sighs.

"It's frustrating, I know," Evie agrees, standing to ease Dave with her hands resting in their place around his waist.

"It is," he huffs, over exaggerating his annoyance while moving his arms to settle around Evie's shoulders, pulling her into his chest.

"But hey, we get to spend some more time together before you go to LA," Evie offers.

"You're right. I guess it's a blessing in disguise," he smiles.

"What time did Shelli say to come over again?" Evie asks, taking Dave's mind off his frustration and bringing his thoughts to their plans for the night.

Shelli had instructed Dave and Evie to head to her and Krist's house tonight for an undisclosed important celebration.

"Five," Dave responds.

"Do you think Shelli could be pregnant?" Evie asks eagerly, guessing at what the 'important celebration' could possibly be.

"I don't know," Dave replies uncomfortably.

Evie picks up on the discomfort on his face. He's a terrible liar and she knows it. She pieces two and two together and concludes that he must know what the celebration is about and hasn't told her.

"You know what it is! And you're not telling me!" Evie says in shock, taking a step back and crossing her arms playfully.

"Eves, Shelli swore me to secrecy. I can't tell you," Dave says defending himself.

"So, you can know, but I can't. Thanks Shell," Evie sighs, hating being out of the loop.

"You'll find out soon enough. I'm honestly surprised you haven't figured it out yet," Dave says which flicks on a lightbulb in Evie's head.

Oh. How couldn't she have realised? It's the 19th of February today, which means it's Kurt's birthday tomorrow. And it's her own birthday in a little over a week. So, if Shelli is planning some sort of surprise which Dave was sworn to not tell Evie about, it must be some sort of birthday celebration.

"Wait, is this some sort of birthday thing for Kurt and I?" Evie questions.

"God," Dave sighs, "I shouldn't have said anything."

"I knew it," Evie smirks.

"At least pretend to act surprised when we get there or Shelli will kill me. You're not even supposed to know about tonight to begin with," he pleads.

Dave's right, the only reason Evie knows about tonight to begin with is because she had been in the room when Shelli had called a few days prior and it didn't take much for Dave to crack and reveal that Shelli was planning some sort of surprise evening at their house. At the time, Dave had pretended to not know what this said 'surprise' was, but Evie now knows this was a lie.