She sauntered down the stairs to meet her brother who was waiting at the front door.

When they arrived, they could hear the music booming from the driveway. Mady's fingers tingled with anticipation. It's been a while since she's partied with her friends.

"I'm staying here tonight, so you can have the car," Cole said tossing her the keys as the two walked in together.

"Well, i'm not driving if i'm wasted," She said in an obvious tone, scrunching her face up.

Cole just shrugged, "That's why i'm staying here,"

Mady huffed, letting out an annoyed breath.

I guess i'll deal with that problem when I get to it.

Mady followed Cole through the back gate and into the back yard. She looked up just in time to see Topper jumping off the roof with Sarah in his arms. She shuttered as their bodies slapped against the water in the pool. She bit her nails nervously.

"Coolest chick in the Obx!" Was all Mady could make out.

Mady groaned. "I need a drink,"

A few drinks and some laughs later, Mady spotted Rafe setting something up. She watched for a moment until he pulled some white powder out of his bag. Coke. She shook her head.

"Sup princess," He smirked walking towards her. Despite Sarah and Mady being so close, she and Rafe never got along. Their strained relationship only got worse as the years went on, and in the past couple months Rafe's been a whole different person, in the worst way possible. Mady knows the drugs are doing a number on him, similar to what they did to her mother.

Rafe got close to the girl and wrapped his hand around her wrist. "What's the look for, huh?" He asks, squeezing tightly.

"Fuck off Rafe," Mady rolled her eyes and tried to pry her hand out from his grip.

"What was that?" He asked, slowly stepping closer to her. Mady's heart rate picked up minimally as Rafe's tall stature stood above her. The top of her head only came to his shoulder.

She kept a stern face, not giving any fear away. "Let go, dumbass." She hissed, shaking her wrist.

Rafe glanced to the right, and immediately let go of her wrist. Mady looked at the source of his weariness to see her brother macking a touron girl. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Let's go do a line," Rafe said pulling the girl towards the living room.

"I'm good thanks," She yanked her wrist back and turned away.

"Your loss," Rafe scoffed at her.

She kept walking the opposite direction before turning back to Rafe as she wiped away her fake tears. "Boo-hoo," She mocked the fakest upset voice she could muster up. Rafe only scoffed and went back to the table that Topper had now wandered up to.

Mady spotted Sarah coming down the stairs looking flustered. Confused, she headed over to her.

"Hey-hey, you okay?"

Sarah wiped a stray tear and nodded. Mady raised her eyebrow, causing Sarah to slowly shake her head.

Mady knew something was wrong with her friend. "Let's get out of here," She whispered, guiding Sarah out to the car.

In all honesty, she was glad to leave. She loves her friends undoubtedly, but some people, including her brother and his friends, were not among them.

The kooks had always been her crowd, because she had never known anything else, but part of her longed for more adventure that she could never get from the kook life.