~6~

🖤

Nightmare walks through the halls of his castle, heading towards the dungeons with Killer by his side. When he got to his destination, he told Killer to wait by the entrance as he approached the cell where the Star Sanses were. 

As soon as he notices Nightmare, Ink lungs at the bars, glaring at him.

"Well, hello there," Nightmare says. 

"Let us out!" Ink exclaims.

"Hm... let me think about that," he starts. "No."

"Brother," Dream calls, taking a step forward. 

"Don't 'brother' me."

"But-"

"Do you know why I came here to talk with you?"

"Did you want to say hi?" Blueberry asks from the back. There a short silence as everyone stares at him. Is he being serious right now?

"Yes, but also no."

"It's about the person you sent Cross to find, isn't it?" Ink asks.

"Now why would I want to tell you about that?" Nightmare says in response.

"I felt the aura around that person," Dream says. "It's just like..." Dream pauses and Nightmare glares at him, daring him to finish that sentence. 

Even if Nightmare was trying to kill him, he and Dream had an unspoken rule not to talk about their friend. Ever.

"You can't pretend they're the same person! You can't force them to stay here!" Dream exclaims instead.

"Who said I forced them to come here?" Nightmare counters. "She came willingly."

"Wh-what?" 

"I didn't kidnap her, she came of her own will." There's something satisfying about the dumbfounded silence as the Star Sanses process what Nightmare had just said.

"You recruited her. That's why you brought her here!" Ink exclaims.

"No way! There's no way she would do something like that!" Blue says. 

Oh, Blueberry. You always see the good in people, don't you?

"I haven't recruited her," Nightmare says. "At least, not yet."

"You can't keep her here, brother!" Dream says.

"And what are you going to do to stop me?" Nightmare knows he's provoking them on purpose, but he can't help himself. Watching them get frustrated over someone they didn't even know is amusing. 

"We'll get out of here!" Ink exclaims, sounding more confident than he felt. Nightmare could sense his doubt and fear.

"That's right!" Dream says. 

Is this going to be some kind of cliché phrase where the three of them spilt the sentence so each of them gets a part? It better not be.

"And when we do, we'll rescue that person you're keeping here!" Blueberry says. Oh god. It is.

"The Star Sanses will never give up!" the three of them shout.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHH! Why are you like this?

"That's cute," Nightmare says. "That you're filled up with so much hope. You should just give up. You know you'll never succeed, so why try?"

"That's not true! We will succeed!" Dream shouts.