There was scattered applause, as well as whispers of shock.

"Snape's married?"

"The Dungeon Bat! In love!"

"Aww!"

McGonagall cleared her throat, and silence fell instantly. "Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs.

"I would also like to remind you all-" she cast Fred and George a severe look "-that the forest on the edge of the grounds is forbidden. That means, for those of you who are too stubborn to understand, you are not allowed there. You will be punished severely if this rule is disobeyed!"

She glared around at the students for a moment before continuing.

"It is also my duty announce that this year at Hogwarts-"

The doors to the Great Hall banged open, interrupting her. Standing in the doorway was a stooped wizard wearing a traveling cloak. He was covered in scars, and part of his nose was missing. One of his eyes was small, dark, and beady, and the other was large and electric blue, spinning around in all directions. He started forward, limping towards the staff table. A thump sounded every other footstep, indicating that he had a wooden leg.

"You're late, Alastor," McGonagall said disapprovingly, earning a few stifled laughs. "May I introduce Alastor Moody, who will be security this year?"

Very few people applauded, and they stopped incredibly quickly when they realized no one else was clapping.

"As I was saying," McGonagall said stiffly, "this year at Hogwarts, we are hosting an event that has not been held for over a century: the Triwizard Tournament."

"You're JOKING!" Fred exclaimed, making several people laugh.

"No, Mr. We ⎯ excuse me, Mr. Lupin-Black, I am not joking," McGonagall said sharply. "Please do not interrupt.

"I am aware that some of you do not know what the Triwizard Tournament is, so I will take a few moments to summarize.

"The Triwizard Tournament is a... friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion will be selected from each school, and the three champions compete in three magical tasks. Each time the tournament comes around a different school hosts it. This time it is our turn... and you will all be expected to be on your best behavior!

"The heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short-listed contenders in October, and the selection of the three champions will take place at Halloween. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand Galleons prize money."

McGonagall waited for the eager whispers to die down before speaking again.

"A new rule has been put in place for this tournament, a rule which the Ministry agreed on ⎯ and so do I. I do not want to lose any students, and neither do Headmistress Maxime and Headmaster Karkaroff. Only those who are seventeen or who will turn seventeen by this March will be allowed to enter. To ensure that no one disobeys this rule-" her glare silenced all complaints "-we will be placing the impartial judge in Professor Snape-Black's office, and you will ask permission from your head of house to enter. Anyone who asks and is not of age will immediately lose House points. Is this understood?"

There were several mutters of "yes, Headmistress." Harry chuckled at the scowls on his Demon twins' faces.

"The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October and remaining with us for the greater part of this year. You will be expected to be polite and welcoming to our foreign guests while they are with us, and to give your support to the Hogwarts champion when he or she is selected. If a student who is part of the Quidditch teams enters and is chosen, they must decide between the Tournament and their House team. The Tournament is strenuous, you cannot participate in the tournament and the game.

"That is all. Good night," McGonagall said crisply.

As Harry, Tom, Draco, and the twins prepared to leave the Great Hall, a shout halted their progress.

"Hey, Harry!"

Harry turned to see Dean and Seamus running towards him. He stifled a smirk ⎯ they were holding hands.

"Can we talk to you?" Dean asked breathlessly.

"Tomorrow after classes," Harry agreed. "I'll send one of the Demon twins to find you after dinner."

"Seamus Finnigan," Seamus said, sticking his hand out for Tom to shake. "This is my boyfriend, Dean Thomas."

"Hey."

Tom chuckled and shook Seamus' hand. "Pleasure. Harry's told me about you."

Harry blushed, causing Dean and Seamus to laugh.