6: The Order's New Spy

Start from the beginning

"An... Inferius?" Lupin asked, his hand squeezing Black's. "I don't... How... Why is the Inferius the weakness?"

"Unfortunately, the spy is not high up in the ranks. They only just received word of it," Albus said, and a part of Severus felt relieved, the spy didn't know what he'd just done. Another part of him, though, felt enraged. The spy didn't know what they'd just done! "However, the Inner Circle and older members have known about the Inferius for years."

Suddenly, all eyes were on him. Albus, you bloody bastard. Severus glared at them, incorporating his best 'Dungeon-Bat Glare'. He may not be a teacher at Hogwarts anymore, but his reputation preceded him.

"Were you aware of the Inferius, Severus?" Albus asked. Severus felt his chest give a tug and realized that Dumbledore was pulling on his bond. The bastard was using the oath against him!

"I was." Severus bit out.

"And you didn't think to tell us, Snivellus?!" Black snapped. Severus glared at him.

"I was not suicidal enough to try!" Severus snapped back. It appeared there was no way out of telling them. Perhaps, Severus could still save the situation. If he stressed just how dangerous taking the Inferius away could be, they wouldn't attempt it.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Black sneered.

Severys sighed. "The Dark Lord... The Inferius is most precious to him. To tell the Order about him would mean instant death."

"Why is he so precious?" Lupin asked. "Who is he?"

"No one knows," Severus said with a slight shrug. "Only the Dark Lord."

"Then why is he so important?" Molly asked, crossing her arms over her ample bosom. "Is he dangerous? A weapon?"

Unbidden, a smile spread across Severus's face. The Order looked at him in shock, having never seen a smile on the man's face. "No." Severus said with a shake of his head. "Little One is not a weapon. He's completely harmless."

"Little One?" Kingsley asked.

"That is what he is called," Severus said. "No one, apart from the Dark Lord, knows who he is, what his name is, nor the connection he has to the Dark Lord. He is called Little One, and is loved and protected by all who meet him."

"How can that be?" Kingsley asked.

Severus shrugged slightly once more. "Little One appears to be about four or so. The ritual used to bring him back to life was done perfectly, and he is intelligent. He doesn't speak, but he has the ability. He is... He acts like a regular toddler."

It was silent around the table as the Order took in Severus's words. Incredulous looks rested on everyone's face as they processed the new information. Finally, Molly spoke.

"If he's not a weapon, why is he precious to the Dark Lord?" she asked. Judging from the way everyone else leaned forward, the rest of the Order was thinking the same thing.

Severus sighed. "The Dark Lord... is very paternal towards the child."

Everyone gasped once more, and Molly's eyes widened. No one seemed to know how to react to that. Severus sat still, anxiously waiting for their reactions. He needed to convince the Order not to take Little One. It was crucial that the Dark Lord keep his Inferius, lest the entirety of Magical Britain suffer for it.

Finally, Black spoke. "You're telling me the Dark Lord has an Inferius son and you didn't say anything sooner?!"

"I saw no need to bring a toddler into this!" Severus hissed.

"How do you know he isn't already in this?!" Black exploded, throwing his hands up in the air in agitation. "You know nothing about the thing! How do you know the Dark Lord didn't kill him?"

The idea that the Dark Lord killed Little One was so preposterous that Severus scoffed. "We're talking about a man who tortured one of his most prized followers for days after he made Little One cry!" he snarled. "The Dark Lord would never hurt the child!"

"This is most concerning," Albus cut it. Severus sat back in his chair, his attention solely on Dumbledore now. "Inferi requires serious dark magic. Are you certain the Inferius is not controlling the Dark Lord."

Severus shook his head. "I don't think the child even knows what the Dark Lord does. He is very sheltered."

"I suppose that is a good thing," Albus said. "It will make bringing him here a lot easier."

Everyone began shouting over top of each other, each one trying to make their opinion clear. Severus, however, was frozen to his chair. Bringing Little One to Grimmauld Place? That could not be allowed.

"Albus." Severus said, his sharp voice cutting over the other yells in the room. Everyone turned to look at him. "That is the worst idea you've ever had in existence."

"Surely, my boy, rescuing the Inferius---"

"He does not need rescuing from the Dark Lord!" Severus snapped. "Listen to me, Albus. The Dark Lord is protective and possessive of the child to the point of obsession. We can not take him from the Dark Lord."

"If the Dark Lord is as obsessed as you say, taking the Inferius from him will weaken him." Albus pointed out. "It would be the perfect time to strike."

Everyone who had been hesitant about taking the Inferius before seemed to agree with that statement. Severus was afraid of this, but he knew this would happen. "Albus," he said seriously. The old man looked at him with his grandfatherly smile. "If we do this...there will be a bloodbath."

Everyone in the order winced at this, shifting uncomfortably. "Surely it will not be as bad as you think, my boy." Dumbledore said, trying to ease the members.

Severus shook his head, desperate to get his point across. "If we take Little One from him, he will not stop until he is returned. I urge you to think about this carefully. This is the one weakness that the Dark Lord will not lose."

Albus looked weary but determined, and his silence gave the answer that Severus was dreading, yet expecting. He sighed.

"Very well. I will bring him when I can." he said with a regretful tone. Better he do it, then this supposed spy. If they were suicidal enough to inform the Order of the Dark Lord's pseudo-son, then who's to say he wouldn't harm Little One in the process? No, this way, Severus could keep Little One safe, and keep an eye on the Order all at once. And this way, he wouldn't be breaking that damned oath he'd been forced into.

Hopefully, Little One would be returned before the Dark Lord destroyed too much of Britain.