Part 8

One of our helpers asked of me and said that my dad wants to talk near the pond area, behind the house.

Since he is a sporty and rich, one of his sport is golf. He build a small course for him to play. The hole was in the middle of the pond. I walked towards him while he play.

"Your mom found this eco-balls. They dissolve underwater." He hit another with his golf club. He suck by the way. "Anyway, she is a little pissed, apparently I wasn't the most gracious of host last night. I was a little bit shocked when I found out that my only daughter is getting married. Especially when none of us knew you were dating."

He walked towards me. "My point is I owe you an apology." He lend his hand for a shake and I looked at it, before taking it.

"Apology accepted." I said and walked over to his golf cart, grabbed a club myself.

"There is something else. I have been going over my retirement plans recently, and got me thinking. I've done a lot of things in my life, practically built an empire with your mother from the ground. And it will be pointless unless..."

"You have someone to leave it to." I finished his sentence. "We've talked about this dad."

"Yeah? I want to talk about it again." I looked at him angrily. "You have responsibilities here. The businesses here! I think I have been more than understanding about your goofing off in New York. I need you to quit playing around..."

"Here we go again!" I said.

This has been our constant argument whenever I'm here. He wants me to continue the "empire" that he built. The family businesses.

But it doesn't runs in the blood. I want to be an writer, and soon I will be an Editor. He just can't understand that.

"When are you going to start taking what I do seriously?" I asked of him.

"Well when you start acting seriously and come back here to manage everything."

"I'm sorry Dad. I feel sorry for you. I wish you had another son, or daughter. I really do. One who wanted to stay here and take care of the businesses. One who wanted to marry someone that you approve of. But it's not me."

I sighed before continuing. "Now it might be strange for you, that my life is in New York, sitting in an office, reading books but it makes me happy. Understand?"

I looked at him, waiting to respond. "If that makes you happy, then I have nothing to say." He said like.. what do we call it in Philippines? Labas sa ilong.

"Well, that's a first. You know what. Apology not accepted." I threw the club in front of him and left.

--

Meanwhile, my fiance is having the time of her life. Apparently, they went to the only club here and visited one of Ramone's performances.

Ramone is the only exotic dancer that this island has. He also is one of the store vendors in one of our businesses. He one too many sidelines and I can't mention to you all of those cause me, myself don't know all of it.

I won't get into much details cause hearing exotic and dancer in one word makes me... you know. Not my thing.

Anyhoo...

Jhoana went out of the club for a breather. Ramone has been grinding on Jhoana's face since she came up to the stage. Jia must've noticed so she followed her.

"Hey." They were in the patio and Jhoana was looking far. She snapped her hear towards Jia's voice and smiled.

"Hi."