"It's not just about my last name Alex." Lena sighed.

"Then what is it? Talk to me please."

Lena took a deep breath. She was fiddling with her nails like she subconsciously does when finding it hard to explain her feelings.

"I don't want a new CFO because I don't know them like I know you. No matter how much I tell myself not to trust anyone, with you it's just hard not to. The truth is I like having you here."

Alex's face softened at the young woman's confession. "And I like being here but it's not my job. It just doesn't make me feel like working at the DEO did, do you understand."

"Yes, I do. So you are going back then?"

"Is that okay?"

"If working at the DEO makes you happy then what rights do I have to stop that."

A thought in the back of Alex's mind was pressing her to say all of them, but that hardly made sense. Lena wasn't everything to her, they were barely even friends and yet she had temporarily given up her job to help the young woman...

"So you'll at least try looking for a CFO. You need the help Lena and you know that I'll admit you're a very strong and capable woman but you can't do everything alone."

"I'll consider it."

"Good, I hope they treat you well because that's the least you deserve."

Lena smiled at the older woman, "Thank you."

Alex smiled back, "Of course. It's only the truth." She went to the door but Lena stopped her. She got up awkwardly from her desk and looked Alex straight in the eyes.

The latter gulped. Why oh why did the young Luthor's eyes have to be so beautiful, the right one was a light green that seemed to be holding a sea of emotion, the left was bluer and fierier, as though its steely gaze could silence you with a single stare. Which to be honest it did.

Lena waved her hand in front of Alex's gazing eyes, who was now blushing furiously at being caught staring.

"Alex I know this might come across as a little inappropriate seeing as I'm technically still your boss and I shouldn't really be asking personal questions."

Alex was curious as to what Lena would think to be inappropriate, they had been friends for three years, maybe not the closest but they seemed to be the only people who understood each other.

"Lena you can ask me anything. Except for asking me to spy on my sister or to help you get away with murder. Wait, actually that depends on who you murdered. Not that I'm saying that you would murder someone because you're a Luthor or for any reason at all." Alex started to ramble, but Lena cut her off finding it hard not to smirk.

"Alex it's OK. Personally, I think we would be a very good team in committing a murder."

Lena laughed and for only a brief moment Alex could swear she saw her wink.

"But all jokes aside. I wanted to ask why Kelly left all of a sudden? It must have been important for her to miss the thanksgiving dinner."

Alex sighed, "Yeah, she and James flew back home because they found out their mom has cancer."

"That must be hard for them. Send her my condolences if you can."

"I will. Thank you, Lena. Not just for that but for everything. Working at L-corp has given me a whole new insight into what the power of science really can do and that the world isn't so dangerous all the time. Also that you clearly don't need anyone's protection but I have enjoyed working here, working with you."

"It's been a pleasure, Agent Danvers."

Alex smiled at her and she smiled back. For what seemed like an eternity Alex was lost in those eyes again, those mesmerizing eyes that she could fall so deep into that she would never know when she hit the ground.

Lena was thinking almost the same thing. How she could just stay in this moment forever, just her and Alex trying to search for the emotion behind each other's eyes, no conflicting feelings about Supergirl or Kelly. The world had turned its back and everything in it was unimportant, except Alex Danvers and Lena Luthor and the strong connection they were both beginning to feel.

That was until Jess interrupted over the intercom. "Ms Luthor it's nearly midnight, I'm going to head home and I suggest you do the same. I would hate to have a repeat of last night."

Lena sighed and replied to Jess, simply telling her goodnight. By now Alex had her arms folded and was pouting at Lena.

"What does she mean a repeat of last night?"

"Nothing that concerns you Alex. You should go home too."

"Lena. Did you work all night again?"

Lena exhaled, she didn't want to lie to Alex, "Yes but I wasn't even tired anyway and I just didn't feel like going home. I'm fine honestly."

"Lena you need to start taking care of yourself. Do you want me to continue working here?"

"No. You belong at the DEO, all those things you said about how it makes you feel are great and I would never take that away from you. Now go home and if I see you again then I hope it'll be doing something we both love."

Alex went to hug Lena but the Luthor pulled away and held her hand instead.

Alex understood, Lena just wasn't ready to get close to anyone again. She politely shook her hand and wished her goodnight.

When Alex was gone Lena realised something. The Harun-El that Supergirl had given her, it had cured Lex when he had cancer and it had also saved James' life when he got shot.

So maybe she could use it to cure Mrs Olsen's cancer. If she has a chance to do something good or even miraculous it's worth every risk.

Especially if it meant that Alex would be happier.

A/N: Oof I am very sorry for not updating. There's been some drama happening and also because I've been binge-watching the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

Hopefully, I'll update quicker in the future but I'll probably just look back at my work and think what is this cringy trash.

If you do enjoy it so far then that's good and thanks for the support. So yay!

Thanks for reading!

- Heather ❤