Danila drove her to a doctor's office, which was in a high end building with a receptionist that made Bernie feel underdressed. Danila walked in beside her, hands stuffed into his pockets looking annoyed. "This is Miss Lavern for Doctor Leeson" he informed the receptionist.

She frowned at her computer screen, "I don't see an appointment for Miss Lavern".

"She was sent by Mr Gavril Petrov" Danila informed her coyly. The receptionist's eyes widened, before she told Bernie to take a seat. She perched awkwardly on the edge of the seat, as the receptionist informed someone over the phone about her arrival. Bernie pretended to read the numerous posters around the room, while trying not to see the receptionists stare of disgust.

It wasn't long before Doctor Leeson called her into his office. He introduced himself with a firm handshake before ushering her into the room. He was an average, nondescript, man who looked kind behind his glasses.

He started by asking her basic questions about her health, which she answered, before he did a full physical. He took two vials of her blood, a urine sample, a swab and got her up to date with her vaccinations. He then inserted a hormonal implant in her arm to prevent her getting pregnant. When he had everything he needed, he gave her his business card and sent her on her way.

"Ready to go?" Danila asked, as she walked back into the waiting room – rubbing her sore arm from all the needles.

"I think I'm supposed to go and see someone called Christian" she informed him, as they headed back to the car. Danila agreed, before they drove into the city centre. In the heart of Santa Fe, was a beautiful grand salon owned by the man himself.

Danila waved her into the salon, leaning against the car outside and lighting up another cigarette. Bernie was quiet as she left him behind and headed inside. The smell of makeup, hair products and floral candles hit her as she walked inside. Her large heels clicked on the marble floor.

The salon was busy, with numerous women getting their hair done as they chatted to their stylists happily. Bernadette looked around, trying to imagine herself sat in one of those chairs gossiping away as if she didn't have a care in the world. She couldn't picture it.

"Oh my god!" a high male voice squeaked. She turned to see a man making a beeline for her. He was beautiful. There wasn't any other way to describe the man; truly beautiful. He was tall and slender, with a flowing mane of golden hair around his angular chin. Christian was the right name for him, Bernie thought, he looked like a modern-day Jesus. "You must be my new project" he grinned at her.

"I'm Bernie".

"Oh honey, yes you are" Christian smiled. Taking her hand he led her through the salon and to the back, snapping in Spanish to a few people as they walked past. There was a private stylist room in the back; a large mirror and swivel chair in the centre and the rest of the room filled with makeup, clothing, bottles and lotions.

The day was...long.

Bernadette had once heard the saying – going from zero to sixty. She'd seen her best friend, Kyle, on his motorbike and had understood how fast that was. But, Christian wasn't like that. He started a sixty and just went up from there.

He started with her hair; washing, cutting, dying and conditioning. By the end, her red hair was brighter by a few shades – the colour like the brightest flame in the room. Extensions took the length to her waist, making her look almost fairy-like.

Then came the hair removal; eyebrow shaping, upper-lip, legs and bikini line. He exfoliated, moisturised and creamed her entire body, before giving her both a pedicure and a manicure.

After that, came the makeup. Christian gave Bernie a full makeover – teaching her as he went. She was like a sponge; absorbing all the information as best she could, determined to look the best she could for Gavril.

"I look..." Bernie breathed out, looking at her reflection, when he was done.

"Expensive" Christian finished for her. She made a noise of agreement as she twirled slightly in the mirror. She didn't look like a different person, but she looked like the best version of herself. Her skin glowed, her hair shone, and her eyes glistened like a painting. "Yes, you look like a wild, expensive, fairy".

"Will he like it?" Bernie blurted out.

"Girl, he'd be blind if he didn't". He came up behind her in the mirror and fussed with her hair. He glanced at her as she looked at her reflection, looking perplexed. "Why do you look so miserable?"

"I just...what if I can't make him happy?"

"Oh honey" Christian cooed. Taking her hand, he pulled her back to the salon chair and dramatically spun her around to face him. "Look, you're a sweet kid and I like you. So, I will give you a few tips. I have been looking after Mr Petrov's girls for years, and most of these girls like to gossip".

"Okay"she nodded, eyes widening in realisation. Christian could be a good source ofinformation. He could help her make sure that she made Gavril happy.