Chapter 8

I stepped out of the Desecrated Church into the cool night air. My body shuddered. My golden blazer couldn't keep me warm. I looked around, though I couldn't see anything through the pitch-black darkness of the night. The halfmoon was hidden behind dark clouds, there was nothing that could alight the sky that night. In the distance, the throaty call of an owl echoed through the gloom. But where was Lilith? I focused on the ground beneath me, as I tried to walk without tripping over some loose branches. I suddenly stopped when I heard silent sobs, coming from around the corner of the church. Lilith. Was it appropriate for me to interrupt? I hesitated before rounding the corner, one hand clutched onto the stone wall of the building to guide my way. My heart dropped. There she was, the Mother of Night, leaning against a tree, crying. Why was she crying?

"Lilith", I said softly, finally finding my voice. The dark-haired woman spun around, eyes wide open.
"I didn't mean to startle you."
She quickly stood straight and fixed her dress. "Oh no, don't worry. You didn't. I just thought I was alone", she said. Lilith watched my every move as I began to close more distance between us.
"So", I said, sitting down on a pile of wood behind me. "Mind telling me why you were crying? I would've never expected to see you cry."
The other woman sighed. "Well, it was the play to be completely honest."
I watched her expression for a second before I spoke: "Did He really promise to make you His queen?"
"Yes."
"And did He?"
"No."
A few heartbeats passed in silence.
"Look Zelda, you don't know Him like I do. You don't know who you're worshipping. He is no god. That's only one of the Devil's many lies."
I raised an eyebrow at her words. "Why would you turn against the Dark Lord now?"
The demoness looked to the ground before making eye contact with me. "He was only ever cruel", she blubbered out.
"What did He do to you", I asked, but it only came out in a barely audible whisper.
She laughed sarcastically. "What does it matter to you? You don't care. You said it yourself; you could never love me."
I sighed. "I shouldn't have said that."
"No, no. You know what? It's okay. Do you know why? Because I don't care. I don't care about you, Zelda Spellman." Her eyes shot daggers. "And it doesn't even matter. I belong to Him. I will always belong to Him and I will always have to do as He commands."
"Is that why you're here", I asked. "Because He told you to?"

Lilith's POV:

"Is that why you're here", she asked. "Because He told you to?" She was smoking again. I guessed she always did in stressful situations. Her question caught me off guard and my eyelid twitched. I didn't want to lie to her. I didn't mind lying but for some reason I wouldn't lie to Zelda. She would hate me for what I did but I supposed that that was exactly what I deserved.
"Yes", I answered truthfully.
The ginger took a deep breath before she spoke again. I knew what her next question was going to be. "Are you here for Sabrina?"
"Yes", I said again.
She sucked in a sharp breath.
"How dare you come close to my niece", she spat. Suddenly I saw something change in her countenance, a change in her eyes. It was hurt. "Is that why we-", her voice cracked.
"No", I shouted in a genuine, pleading tone but I couldn't ask that from her. After what I did, I couldn't ask her to believe any of my words. "Zelda I wouldn't have helped Him if I had known-"
"Had known what", Zelda interrupted. "What could He possibly want from my niece?"
"I believe He wants to make her His queen." I looked down to the ground. "But I can't tell you for sure."
"What?!" A shocked expression spread across the beautiful ginger's face.
"I'm sorry", I said.
An uncomfortable silence settled upon us. Zelda broke it after a few minutes. Her eyes locked with mine. I could see them sparkle through the darkness.
"Why do you still serve Him", she asked. "Even now?"
"It's all I've ever known", I answered truthfully.
"What a terrible, weak reason", she spoke before she got up. "I never want to see you again. Crawl back to your Dark Lord, Lilith." And then she walked away. She walked away, leaving me thinking. How could I possibly escape His grip on me. I hadn't lied when I had said that this was all I've ever known. Pathetic. But true.