Chapter 5 - "Truly Missing"

Brandon led his new friends through the garden paths that helped fill in the center of the entire wing. As gloomy as a dormitory underground may appear in imagination, the Squirrels did amazing work to make it feel like home. Not home, but a new home—one where Brandon had lived in for almost four years.

"Are these real?" Kathryn asked in awe of a sunflower.

"As real as their foul smell," Brandon responded.

Her quiet laugh brought him a smile of victory. He never was great with people, except for those he was quite familiar with. Since all his friends were once strangers too, Axel and Kathryn would be no exception... considering he didn't mess up.

He could recite speeches and research reports excellently with quick memory and method. Even sending witty comments was natural enough if they were talking tech or the garden flowers. But people in-of-itself, he couldn't calculate, didn't know anything. How would they react? How would they take it? What words were sensitive that he wasn't aware of?

Brandon shook his head and continued through the loopy path. Not enough students take a break in this garden, not realizing its true value of tranquility. The path ended, bringing them to face glass doors.

The cafeteria, sometimes used as a hallway for announcements, was squished in between dorm rooms in the middle of the semicircle. They were late, considering the crowded tables and the length of people lining up for food.

Brandon led them through the eyes that the visitors had caught the attention of. He saw Kian, dining with his four "henchmen." His intellectual rival didn't try to ignore him as he scowled. Brandon put on a disgusted facade. Ah, what's new? Kian Norvell, tense as every year, on this one month.

The only available seats were in the far back, in the dreaded corners. No one cleaned the corners. He sighed and looked back at his friends. Friends....

Acquaintances, you idiot! His subconscious yelled. They are not staying.

Brandon gulped. It was probably true, despite how much he wanted to experience the Homans Theory. They only came to get information, only needed him to find the boy's father. And he decided that in such a noble cause he will be valuable.

"Uh, hey, Brandon," Axel poked his shoulder. "Don't worry, we don't mind the mess or waiting in line. We'll eat anything after being nearly killed by a chasing minivan."

What? I haven't said anything. Does Axel think I'm ashamed, hesitating to seat them in the dirty corner? Brandon shook his head. He was just standing there. People always assumed one's thoughts. After all, a pause could even translate as contemplation of murder!

The three sat on the stools, estimating if they should line up now or wait for it to clear a little. They unanimously made up their minds when they turned back to face each other on the square "wooden plank"—for it was not worthy of being called a table.

Brandon's fingers tapped on the ugly plank, figuring of something to say, or he could leave the social responsibility of starting to another.

Kathryn, so far being quiet, was now blooming with ideas. "One thing I've been wondering was about the orb itself. Did you know what was so special? You mentioned that they needed you both alive—"

"Well, only Mr. Rowl. Seth did try to shoot me," Brandon retorted.

"I guess. Anyways, I don't think they just happened to be scanning for planes. What was so valuable about the orb and Alexander? Alexander knew something...."

"When I think about it," Brandon said, holding his hand to his head in thought, "he was mumbling words all throughout the jungle run. Just four "alien" words, over and over. It was not need-to-know for me, since I wasn't told. He was memorizing through repetition."