"Oh honey, don't try to speak. Alan, get him some water." My dad leaves to retrieve me a glass of water and leaves me alone with my mom. "Oh honey, we were so worried" she says, petting back my hair like I'm five. "When the hospital called-."

"Where-?" I get into a coughing fit in an attempt to form a sentence and my mother's face contorts in worry.

"Got the water." My dad hands me the small cup and I down the entire thing. I hold it back out to him and he chuckles. "Right. I'll get you some more."

I turn my attention to my mom once he's gone once more. "Where is she?" I ask, coughing just a bit when the words are out. The machine beside me beeps as I try to adjust to get more comfortable and a sharp pain in my abdomen causes my face to twist in pain.

"Josh, you can't move that quickly" my mom scolds gently, reaching out to help me.

"Mom." I'm breathless after adjusting to the sitting position but I'm not letting go of my question. "Where is Maya?"

Her eye roll is evident. "Does it matter?"

I curse beneath my breath, rolling my head back. "She's my fiancée, of course it matters."

"Josh, she got you into this-."

"Oh my god, please tell me that you aren't blaming Maya for what happened." If anything, I'd probably still be in that damn basement if it weren't for her.

"Well of course I am" she scoffs. "This mission was her idea, you wanted nothing to do with it-."

"Because we were trying to get pregnant" I argue as my dad walks back into the room, rather slowly than before due to the brewing argument between me and my mom. "I didn't want to take the mission because I didn't want to end up conceiving and then losing another baby. I couldn't have survived watching Maya go through that again. So yes, I wasn't keen on the mission but I don't blame Maya for how it turned out. And I want her here. Now. Pull whatever fucking strings you need to because I don't want anything to do with either of you until she's here."

And then I turn away from them both, grabbing my water and decisively staring out my window.

*************************************************************************************

Amy comes down to the waiting room and asks to talk to Riley. She purposefully doesn't ask for me which is fine. She can hold a grudge as long as she wants. I'm still marrying her son and having his babies. "Maya. Josh is asking for you." Riley tells me and I'm out of my seat and on my feet in the blink of an eye.

I brush past my future mother-in-law, only pausing when her voice pierces my ears. "You'll be the death of him, you realize that don't you? That man would die for you."

I turn towards Amy. "And you think I wouldn't do the same for him? I went into that house last night knowing there was a possibility that I never make it out but it was worth it to try and get him back. Because I can't live without him. Your son is everything to me. I'm sorry if you won't accept that."

And then I back away towards the elevator bank and wait.

There's doctors and nurses going every which way in the intensive care unit, it's overwhelming. But, Alan is waiting outside Josh's door acting as a beacon. "Alan." I greet him coolly.

"Maya" he replies, looking over his shoulder. "He's refused to talk to us until he gets to see you." A soft blush colors my cheeks and my hand falls to the engagement ring on my finger. His father's eyes follow my movements. "My wife" he pauses, seemingly thinking of the next, best words. "She cares, sometimes too much. No parents wants to see their children lying in a hospital bed and since you both decided on these careers-."

"All due respect Mr. Matthews but there's a large difference between worry and blatant disrespect and I have too much respect for myself, for my relationship with your son and for our children to put up with it any longer. Amy can express her worry about our safety until she's blue in the face but if either of you even think of saying anything unbecoming of myself or the family I'm creating with your son, neither of you will meet your grandchildren...and I'll sleep just fine."

*************************************************************************************

There's no way she knows that I can hear her out in the hallway which only makes me that much prouder of her for standing up for herself. For years she's had to put up with far too much where my family's concerned and though I should've said something, I was glad that she finally was.

"Josh." The door clicks shut, something I don't think is technically allowed and her small feet pad across the floor to my bed as I slowly turn around.

"Hey sweetheart." Tears spring from her eyes as I sit up and she throws her arms around me. I hold her until she calms down, her body shaking with gentle sobs. My hands rub soothing circles against her back, slipping beneath her blouse to rest on her back. "You changed clothes" I mutter into her hair.

"Riles brought me clothes. I changed while you were visiting with your family." She explains, sniffling as she pulls away from me. She was looking more comfortable now than last night. Gone was her tight dress, replaced with jeans and an off the shoulder black blouse. She looked breathtaking despite the smudged make-up and tangled hair. "How were your parents?" She asks quizzically.

I roll my eyes, pulling her back down to lie beside me. Her head rests on my chest and a calm I forgot existed, washes over me. My girl was back in my arms where she belonged. "They were my parents." A soft smile tugs at my lips though. "I heard you talking to my dad in the hall."

She bolts up, eyes wide and nervous. I chuckle, reaching up to tuck a wild strand of hair behind her ear. "Relax. I'm really proud of you for standing up for yourself. I'm just sorry I didn't do it before you had to."

"Josh-." She's interrupted by a doctor walking in with my chart in hand.

"Oh. I wasn't aware you had visitors."

"She's hardly a visitor" I chuckle, circling my hand around hers. "This is my fiancée Maya. And also, while I have you here, I'd like to make sure she's given any and all information regarding my case. She's my next of kin" I explain. Maya's eyes widen.

"Of course" he nods, making a note. "But luckily, I don't think there'll be much more for us to discuss. The surgery went well and the bullet was removed without a problem. After a couple weeks you should be good as new."

"That's great news" Maya exclaims, squeezing my hand.

"It is. Of course, there will be some restrictions. You'll need to refrain from heavy lifting and strenuous activity for at least a month-." My eyes dart to Maya, her cheeks suddenly aflame because I know her hormonal brain just went exactly where mine did.

"B-by strenuous activity-."

The doctor reads our faces and offers us a sympathetic smile. "Sorry." And then he leaves the room and leaves a deafening silence in his wake.

"Well" Maya begins, "at least you'll be home."

"I'm gonna die" I reply dramatically. She rolls her eyes, lying back down and putting her head back on my chest.

"Don't be dramatic. And don't talk about dying. I want forever with you Josh...and not one in a limited number of days but a long and happy forever. Okay?"

"There were so many John Green references in that sentence-."

"Shut up" she replies, cutting me off with a kiss that's everything I'll ever need and more.