21. Bad News

I reread the text over and over again, turn my phone to airplane mode and back again just praying that something comes through. I must've missed a text or a call or something. It was nearly ten o'clock and the drop was supposed to happen around eight. I was hopeful but not naïve. "You don't know that anything went wrong" Noah attempts but I sigh, continuing to pace and trying not to pull my hair out. If he wasn't okay-.

Then my phone rings. I dive for it, bringing it to my ear without bothering with the caller identification. "Hello? Josh? Baby, is that you?"

"So I take it he isn't with you either." I feel the air leave my lungs hearing Aaron's voice and not Josh's. His words confirmation of my worst fear come true. Tears well in my eyes. "Maya-."

"No. H-he's not missing. You're not about to tell me that he's gone because" I pause, feeling the sobs choke me up from within my lungs. "Because I told him something like this was going to happen and he promised me that he'd be fine."

"Agent Hunter, I'm sorry but the drop never happened. We don't have any intel on your partner's location." The air is knocked out of me but Noah is beside me, taking the phone from my ear and putting it on speaker while his hand runs down my back.

"Breathe." He says quietly, "Josh won't be happy to find out that you lost those precious babies because you were worried about him." He's not wrong and oddly enough it does calm me down to the point where I'm still crying but breathing steadily. "Sir, this is-."

"I know who you are. We here at the DEA know everything. Noah, where do you think your sister or her boyfriend would stash someone?"

"Stash?" Poor Noah. He's too naïve and innocent for this lifestyle that I've brought him into. I shake my head, retaking possession of my phone.

"You think they have him?" I don't have to explain the "they" in question.

"It's the only thing that makes sense. Your identities must've been compromised somehow. I don't know. Do you think that you could get down here to the station?"

Noah shakes his head insistently. "Maya, you need rest-."

"I'll be right there" I argue, ending the call and standing up. "You'll drive" I demand of Noah as I walk towards the door and grab my coat.

*************************************************************************************

I could only imagine that this was the same thing that Josh was going through when I disappeared all those years ago. It pains me to dwell on the fact that we're doing this again. When I found him I was going to kick his ass for making me worry about him. He was supposed to be home in our bed telling me how much he loves me. I close my eyes as the program runs in front of me. I couldn't live without him. If something serious were to happen to him-. "You can't think like that" Lola says, taking a seat beside me and sliding me a cup of hot chocolate.

I furrow my eyebrows at her. "How do you know what I was thinking?"

"Because you always think the worst" she replies, taking a sip of her tea. She was the only one on the force who wouldn't die for a cup of coffee. I was only drinking hot chocolate because I saw no point to drink coffee without caffeine. "It's done" she says, pointing to the screen and sure enough the run on Josh's phone was complete.

And the last place his phone had pinged was the garage where the drop was supposed to be. The same area that the DEA was already combing for evidence. I text Aaron the coordinates to make sure they find my fiancé's phone and sigh, dropping my head into my hands. "We're gonna find him" Lola soothes, rubbing her hand down my back. "That man of yours is too stubborn to leave you" she adds in a mumble and I can't help but chuckle at the seriousness of her comment.