Chapter 2: A Perfect Liar

Start from the beginning

"It is a small family farm, not more than 20 inhabitants." The outpost Captain added. "The Giants came in the dead of night in small numbers, seemingly after livestock. As soon as they saw us, they ran."

"Next morning, a recon mission was sent. We had to find out how the Giants got here." You looked at the soldier by your side. Thin and not quite tall, covered in green and brown linen clothes, he was clearly a scout.

"We scanned the area, and found a cave system completely frozen over." He said, pointing on the map. "In the winter that's normal, in summer not so much."

Thor stared at the map. "It's not high enough to be frozen either."

"We covered the two exits, kept one of ours there to see if our suspicions were correct." As he spoke, the scout showed the rest of them on the map. "On the third day, we got our answer. Five giants came out of the cave, and climbed the mountain. We followed them to here." The soldier pointed to a spot right between two mountains. "There's a glacier there, permafrost. A good spot for their kind to settle."

"The river outpost took charge of the situation." You continued, opening the data cube the captain had brought. "They scanned the cave system and found a passage or portal of some sort." You pointed to a dead end in the caves. "Another group went up the mountain and scanned the glacier, finding a camp, small still, but evidently under construction." Several images floated off the holographic map, showing ice structures scattered over the glacier.

"And they're going to be speeding up their operations, they know their cover was blown." Hogun added.

"What is the plan then?" Thor looked at you.

You took a deep breath. "We have to split up. One group must go to the camp and... take care of it." You looked at Thor with a tiny smile, knowing he liked to "take care" of this kind of thing. "The other, smaller, group must go to the caves, secure the exits. No one goes in or out, until we figure out a way to close the passage."

"Can't we just block it? Or blow it up?" Sif asked.

"No, not an option." Loki was the one to answer. "Chances are they merely stumbled upon such a portal, but if someone on their side purposefully opened it, they could easily relocate it." He explained. "It must be sealed with magic."

"Good thing we have a seiðmenn to take care of it." You clearly meant Loki, but avoided looking at him. He did not fail to notice.

"Can you close it?" Thor looked at Loki, taking his attention off you.

"I won't know until I get there." Loki simply stated.

"The river outpost will be our starting point. I've sent several regiments already, to protect all the other settlements and the roads in the area." Several spots on the map lit up at your words, showing the many scattered homes and villages at the foot of the mountains. "More will depart this evening. We will join them tomorrow morning."

You put your hands on the table and looked around, waiting for any possible questions or comments.

"Well," Volstagg stood up, making quite a racket and pushing chairs out of his way. "We all must feed and rest tonight. And I, for one, am starved."

There was a murmur of chuckles around the room, but most agreed Volstagg was right. The council was dismissed and everyone made their way out. Except for you.

You usually stayed behind, going over plans and overseeing practical things like food, water, and other necessary supplies. This time, the scout and the regiment captain stayed with you, as you discussed further issues with them. They were to depart that evening, bringing the supplies with them to the outpost.