Descent Into Darkness Chapter 14

Guess who's back?! Well, most of you who read are my fans, (I hope) so you already know why I haven't been posting. But, I am back, bigger and badder than ever before with a new chapter, and an all new character. Enjoy, my minions, and vote! I command thee!!!!

Phoenix smirked, reevaluating the man before him. “I am Tanos, son of Skingh, Gazda of Marlbon,” the man said, shaking his head. “And you are in a lot of trouble, son of Doritan.”

Phoenix rolled his eyes. “First thing first, Tanos. How do you know my name?”

“You wear the black armor, crafted for you by Jade of Chipe, you’re quite the powerful Zuhdalo, and I have heard much about you from Botuun, whom I presume is now dead?”

“He is, along with every other Cughdo in the temple.”

Tanos sat back, looking at Phoenix with lidded eyes. A few quiet moments passed, and he spoke again. “Why?”

Phoenix sat back in his chair, steepling his fingers in front of his chin. “Why did I kill them you mean?”

Tanos nodded, and Phoenix debated being truthful. He did not fear Tanos, but he was not sure lying to the man was the best route to take. The conversation was being manipulated by Tanos, heading to a certain end, and Phoenix was curious as to what lay at the end. “Many years ago, my mother, father, and I visited this city. I was but a boy, and filled with wonder at your walls and city. We were scheduled to leave on the morning of the fourth day, but on the third night my mother was taken.”

“By the Cughday?” Tanos asked.

“Indeed. She was taken while she slept next to my father, who never woke during her kidnapping. My mother was without an elemental gift, but she was skilled in hand to hand combat, which we guess she used against them once she had a chance, because there was a trail of both dead and unconscious Cughday leading to the temple from the inn. A great many of them must have assisted in her kidnapping, because we counted ten men in the streets.”

Tanos snapped his fingers at a servant who stood by the door, and the servant brought a carafe of wine, filling Tanos’ glass, and offered Phoenix one as well. He declined, continuing with his story. “Considering the ten men in the street, it must have taken more to corral her all the way to the temple, and finally subdue her for sacrifice. My father finally woke, blast his soul, and ran after them, with me in tow.

“We ran to the temple, and found my mother’s torn and bloody dress not fifty yards from the gates. In his fury, my father blew down the gate with such a massive gout of fire that the five men behind it were killed instantly.”

“I remember this,” Tanos interrupted. “My father was still Gazda then, and it was Doritan’s anger that opened the office to me.”

Phoenix nodded. “We ran to the arena, arriving just in time for my mother’s eyes to lock with mine before she died in a wave of flame. My father was in anguish, and went directly to your father, demanding that the Cughday be brought to justice. Your father refused, saying that the Cughday were more powerful than any Gazda, and they would kill him if he tried to bring charges against them. He bid my father to return home, with no justice. Realizing that he could not defeat the Cughday alone, my father got what justice he could by killing your father and fleeing Marlbon, pulling my by the hand.”

“And all these years, you’ve held the grudge against the Cughday?”

“They killed my mother directly in front of me, and turned my father into a hollow, shell of the man he once was. It was a bit larger than a simple grudge, Tanos,” Phoenix hissed through gritted teeth. “Every single one of them deserved much more than I gave them, but I was pressed for time.”

“Ah, we finally arrive at the meat of the conversation. How are you pressed for time?”

“I have things to do, and things to acquire, Tanos. My business is my own, but I do have a question for you now. Why haven’t you ordered my death yet?”

Tanos smiled. “Because contrary to popular belief in Marlbon, I did not support the Cughday. They pushed and pulled at me, hindering my own agenda, giving me orders. A Gazda is supposed to be in charge of a city, not a fanatical cult. If I so much as stepped a toe out of line, or opposed them in any way, my life was in danger until I relented. I am glad to see the blight of the Cughday removed from my city. In your act of vengeance, you’ve gained a friend in me.”

“I have little use for friends,” Phoenix sneered. “But I have much use for information about the stones Demetrius is handing out to the leaders of his forces.”

“Stones?” Tanos asked with a raised eyebrow.

Phoenix glared at Tanos. “Do not tell me you’ve heard nothing of the stones Botuun was using.”

“I have heard whispers of a stone that would dampen a Zuhdalo’s powers, but that is the extent of it.”

“Then you are of no use to me,” Phoenix sighed, rising from his chair. “And now, I shall take my leave.”

Striding for the door, Phoenix was not surprised to hear Tanos call after him, but something about the tone made him turn before the threshold, and look back. “I have one parting gift for you, Phoenix of Yaag,” Tanos said, then snapped his fingers. A figure dropped from the ceiling to land directly in front of Phoenix, crouching low upon impact. Jumping back in surprise, Phoenix lit his hands, prepared to kill the person that had somehow escaped his notice in the rafters. The figure remained crouched, and Phoenix looked long and hard. Slanted eyes, like the stories of people from the continent to the east, but dark like the Yaagalay. Black leather armor covered an obviously lissome frame, while darker black hair in a tight bun pulled back from her angular, foreign face. Her right hand was at the ready, and Phoenix was astonished to see a black flame burning at the tips of her pointer and middle fingers.

“Phoenix, meet Lian. Lian has been my personal guard for three years, and she is rather deadly when unleashed. I give her to you, as thanks for your deed here today, whether or not you meant it for good.”

“I have no need of a companion, Tanos, especially one whose motives I cannot know,” Phoenix said, extinguishing his hands and turning back for the door. “Lian,” Phoenix heard Tanos say as he made his way into the hall. “Follow him wherever he goes, and protect him from harm. You have been a good servant to me, but I no longer have need of you.”

Lian did not answer, but did not follow Phoenix into the hall. He looked back once to make sure she was not following him, and pushed open the door, walking into the street. Back toward the gates he walked, passing the stables on the way. Blaze stood in one of the stables he passed, still fully saddled, so he opened the door and climbed on his horse, whispering his apologies to the beast. A slight kick to Blaze’s ribs, Phoenix and his mount barreled down the streets toward the gates of Marlbon. A flash of black caught his attention, and he marveled to see Lian jumping from rooftop to rooftop, keeping up with him in his flight.

People screamed and ran out of his way, but he paid them no mind whatsoever, beginning to enjoy his game with the eastern woman. He finally reached the gate and rode through, not even stopping when the guards shouted at him. He looked back once more to see Lian standing on the wall of Marlbon, looking after him as he rode out onto the plain.