23. Storm Alley

Author's Note: Hey! I'm Ananya, and I'm 16 :)
First of all, thank you so much for reading this far! I have so many chapters planned, I literally can't wait to share them all with you.
Anyway, I just wanted to inform all you guys that I've changed the title of my story from 'The Night War' to 'When The Throne Bleeds' . Personally, I thought 'The Night War' sounded too boring so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯
Anyway, what was I saying? ah yes, if you like this chapter, then please VOTE!!

~~~~~~~

It was in the dead of the night when a raven flew over King's Landing, heading for the Red Keep. The castle stood stoic and silent as the raven let out a shrill noise, flapping it's wings as it lowered itself to a polished windowsill.

The next morning, the small council members, Ned Stark, Renly Baratheon, Varys, Grand Maester Pycelle and Ser Barristan Selmy sat around the council table, an atmosphere of nervousness engulfing them.

"When did the letter arrive, Grand Maester?" Ned asked, looking at the piece of parchment in his hands with unbelieving eyes.

"In the peak of the night, Lord Stark." Pycelle replied in his fluttering voice.

"Is it really him?" Ser Barristan asked, scratching his chin.

All of them peered at the signature at the end of the letter again.

Yours,
Leonard Lannister

"So he is really coming, then? Leonard Lannister is coming to King's Landing?" See Barristan asked, and for a rare moment, the honourable knight looked a bit frightened.

So did the entire small council.

Leonard Lannister had written them back saying that he would do his part in healing the king, who still lay unmoving in his chamber. The name itself sparked an unreasonable uneasiness in them, they had never actually come face to face with the fact that they were going to ever see him in their lives.

"When is he expected to arrive?" Varys asked, looking deeply thoughtful.

"Tomorrow evening." Ned replied, chewing on his lip nervously.

"What! But it takes days for one to travel from Casterly Rock to the capital! How can he reach here in just a day?" Renly looked around, perplexed.

"He's Leonard Lannister." Ned replied in a low voice. Renly leaned back, his lips in a tight line.

He's Leonard Lannister.

That was an explanation in itself.

~~~~~~~

Irida Snow had gotten rid of her silk gowns and was now wearing scribes covered by a long hooded cloak, as she wriggled her way through the crowded market