Finan- I Will Always Love You

Depuis le début

"You are the worst," she hissed.

"Lord Uhtred!" Elfswith called, glancing over at her sister playfully. She moved around the group of men and pulled her horse up to ride alongside the great warrior. "What is bringing you to Winchester?"

"The King has called us for the year," Uhtred shrugged. "And as long as he does not upset me, I will stay."

Elfswith laughed, having spoken a handful of times with Uhtred, "I see," she said. "Unfortunately, my father has a tendency to upset people. We shall have to wait and see," she then looked back to see her sister still red from embarrassment. "Would you mind if my sister and I rode with you back to Winchester?" She asked.

"No, please, my men will enjoy the company of beautiful women," Uhtred laughed.

Elfswith turned and called for her sister to ride forward. Just as Aethelflaed reached the front, Elfswith moved back to ride beside one of Uhtred's men so that Aethelflaed could ride alongside Uhtred. She then looked at all the different men that rode with Uhtred. She had seen them in passing but had never gotten a good look at them.

When her eyes settled upon the man who rode beside her, she almost could not tear her eyes away. He was extremely handsome. He had dark brown hair, slightly shaven on the sides, he had a dark brown beard, and his face had a few scars. Elfswith found him to be very attractive. 

When his eyes suddenly latched with hers, it was only then that she realized she had been staring for far too long so she cleared her throat.

"What is your name?" She asked the man as they rode.

"Finan," he replied. "And you are the Lady Elfswith?"

"Yes, my lord," Elfswith replied, flashing him a bright smile.

"Oh no, call me Finan. Please. Just Finan."

"Then you must call me Elfswith. I insist," she replied in kind, taking in his shocked expression. Royals didn't normally want to be called just by their first name.

"Well then, Elfswith, I am happy to meet you," Finan said.

As they approached the gates, Elfswith was sad to be parting ways with Lord Uhtred and his band of men. She smiled and nodded at Finan to say goodbye before heading towards the stables. The image of a certain Irishman had been ingrained into her head.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their next meeting was only a few days later when Elfswith had had enough of her mother's lists of suitors and had decided to sneak out into town to the market. She had covered her face with her cloak, and she moved around the crowd quietly, wanting to remain as hidden as possible. She turned one of the corners before bumping into someone.

"Watch where you're going!" A familiar voice said.

Elfswith whirled around and gasped. It was Finan. Their eyes met, and Elfswith felt a sense of panic filling her, and she glanced around to see if anyone had seen what had happened.

"It's you," he said.

"Hush!" Elfswith hissed, adjusting the hood of her cloak. She grabbed his hand instinctively and pulled him out of the marketplace, not wanting anyone to overhear them. As soon as they were out of the crowd and in an empty alleyway, she dropped his hand and her cloak.

"Please, do not say anything to my parents," she begged him. If they found out that she had been wandering the streets without her guards, she would most certainly be locked in her room. "I don't get to have freedom ever, so I have to find ways to make my freedom."