iii. luck be a lady

Start from the beginning

     And as much as Avery does not wish she was Head Girl because: the duties were severe (she is not fond of dealing with prefect tantrums) — she missed being with her friends in Ravenclaw Tower — and its so much pressure — despite all of this she can't help but admit she loves the Heads' dormitories? Sure, she misses Ravenclaw, but this place gives her space, there are so many little quirks and it literally has everything she needs. No joke, when they ran out of Butterbeer in the cute little fridge of theirs, all Avery did was frown and tap her fingers against the counter in contemplation, and a house elf appeared? Like, an actual house elf at their service? And get this, the house elf, whose name is Haily, is the house elf assigned to the Heads — so Charlie and Avery literally have their own house elf! How cool is that? All they had to do was call for Haily and she would be Summoned!

And now, yet another morning graces the castle of Hogwarts on a Friday, and Avery leans pleasurably against the kitchen counter situation in her dorm. It was a bright morning, with the warm sunlight embracing the grounds and giving the grass an even greener appearance, looking almost emerald. The Great Lake was clear blue, twinkling happily from the refracted rays of sunlight. A nice song was even heard being reverberated from the lake below, presumably from the mermaids. It seemed even the mermaids were happy.

So was Avery. She has a free period that morning, allowing her to sip at her mug of coffee calmly and without the need to rush for breakfast. She's still in her pyjamas, and her infamous bed hair precedes her, with strands of hair spilling out of every possible direction. There is another mug of steaming coffee for whenever her roommate decides to appear in their small kitchenette.

Avery glances over the parchment she had in her hand. Over the past week, she has carried out every task handed to her — begrudgingly, yes — but she does it well. When Avery has a task to complete she will do it until it's perfected. Because, though she doesn't seem that way, she is a perfectionist when it comes to these things. She won't stop until something is the best it can be. So, she's proven to be quite a good Head Girl so far, even if she didn't want to be. She may lack a bit when it comes to enforcing the rules, since there's been a couple of times she's seen people in places they shouldn't have been and haven't told them off — but she can work on that. One thing at a time. Baby steps, she tells herself. She didn't want to be Head Girl, but she can't really do anything about it. She's bound to this. So there's no harm in trying to find a positive side to it, right?

     As for her charming roommate. Charlie seemed like the Head Boy candidate. Great grades, pretty smile, Quidditch Captain and Seeker — you couldn't help but be impressed by his overwhelming sense of achievement. He also seemed to have a handful of girls lining after him (though Charlie continues to act oblivious to this, Avery notices). He's really enthusiastic about being the Head Boy after his older brother, although he also seems to be a bit lenient on enforcing the rules. (Main reason why Avery tells herself she needs to brush up on the rules — she may have lacked two years of prefect experience, but one of them needed to be the more professional one.)

     Another thing about Charlie; he seemed to be really eager to make conversation with Avery. Sure, they were co-Heads and sure, they shared a dorm. But Avery wasn't so sure as to why he was so enthusiastic? It was a bit off-putting for her, because it seemed like he was trying to befriend Avery — and she wasn't sure why. They were Head Boy and Head Girl. But they weren't really meant to be friends? Just professional accomplices. So she found no reason for Charlie to be so insistent on talking to her. The only time that Avery would willingly talk to him, without feeling the need to be so distant or blunt, is when she talks to him about Head-related business. A task Professor McGonagall set them, or some prefect issues. That's what they're meant to talk about, yeah? The duties they've been assigned to. That's why they share a dorm. So they can work together.