VI. The Royal Merchant

Start from the beginning

"Can't a guy at least try?" He chuckled, splashing back at me. I didn't mind though, the water felt nice.

     To escape from JJ's splashes, I leaned back, floating on the water. "Never going to happen, JJ."

JJ remained on the paddle board. I could feel his eyes locked on me, "Can you please just help me out of the kindness of your heart?"

"What do you want to know?" I mumbled, the sun beating against my wet skin. "It wouldn't have to do with two men, who may or may not be smugglers, does it?"

     My eyes met his once more. In return he raised his eyebrow, "What do you know?"

"On the night of the storm my parents were talking to two guys. I overheard that they were looking for Scooter on the Grady White. Scooter was looking for Big John's compass." I admitted, telling him just about everything I knew.

"Well, these guys chased us around and ransacked John B's house. What's so important about the compass?" He asked.

     I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know... it's just things are weird around here. I don't understand."

"Me neither." He agreed. "Do you think you can help me figure out why your parents hired them?"

"I don't know. I really don't think we should be getting involved with this." I sighed, running my hands through my long, wet hair nervously.

     "Please, Emerson." He said, moving towards me in the water. His eyes growing big. "This is really important to John B. So, I gotta figure it out."

I admired his attitude towards his friend. After a few seconds of consideration and puppy dog eyes from JJ, I finally gave in. "When my parents go to work, I can get you in the office."

"Thank you." He smiled. There was something about how easily we were getting along that made me feel good about helping him. "When do they leave?"

      I turned toward my house, seeing if I could see anything that was going on in. I knew it wouldn't be long before both of my parents headed off to work for the day. But, I could still see the car in the driveway. "Probably shortly. We need to just wait a little."

       I knew taking JJ to the house would alert my parents that something weird was going on. They knew the last time I hung out with JJ was when we were pre-teens. After many weird conversations about it, both my parents knew that we weren't friends anymore. I couldn't count how many times my mom awkwardly had the conversation about how it's normal for friends to grow apart over time, especially those with completely different lifestyles.

"So, where did you get a gun?" I asked, trying to change the subject until I could see my parents leaving.

He didn't even hesitate, "John B and I broke into Scooter's hotel room."

"You're such a klepto." I chuckled, shaking my head at him and fighting back the urge to roll my eyes. Ever since he was a kid JJ has had slight klepto tendencies. It started with stealing toy cars and candy from the convenience store.

"I know. As a Pogues I gotta do what I gotta do to survive." He shrugged, but there was a slight smile on his face.

I kept my eyes locked on the house in the distance, waiting to see my parents pull out of the driveway. "Why don't you just get a job?" I posed.

      "I have a job, but it won't keep up for the full Kook lifestyle I want to live." He laughed. "Too many luxury items on the list. A hot tub sounds mighty fine for starters."

  "Oh god." I rolled my eyes in response. The idea of JJ with a hot tub was amusing. I could see him sitting in it every chance and a case of beer sitting next to him and his dab pen in the other.