VI. The Royal Merchant

Start from the beginning

When I find my balance, I am able to begin paddling, slowly moving away from the dock.

It was peaceful to listen to the sound of the water against the board and the paddle. Even though it was so hot and I was already working up a sweat, it was a normal day in Outer Banks life. It almost felt like things were returning back to normal.

Once, I decided that I was far enough from my house, I set my paddle down on the board, and jumped into the water. It was refreshing to feel how cold it was. I remained under water for a few seconds, admiring how nice it felt to be engulfed in it. One thing I loved about living by the water is how I could just walk outside and go swimming.

     To my dismay, my adventure was instantly cut short when I noticed someone standing at the dock, waiving me down. I couldn't help but frown when I realized who was trying to get my attention.

"Emerson!" JJ screamed, waving his hands up and down. Of course, he'd be the one to ruin a day that was starting off so well. I wonder what he wanted.

     "Go away." I yelled back, beginning to swim further in the opposite direction of the dock. Maybe if I ignored him he would in fact listen and go away. I wasn't in the mood to fight with him today.

      A few seconds later I hear a splash coming from behind me. Whatever it is, it must have been important if he was going to chase me down for it.

      I stopped, leaning my body against my paddle board, while I waited for him to catch up to me.  "What?" I asked, when he finally reached my location in the water.

"Emerson, I need to talk to you about something. Can you just listen for a second?" He sighed, leaning his weight against the other side of the paddle board. "I come in peace."

I raised my eyebrows, immediately questioning his word choice. "Really, you going somewhere peacefully? I heard you held a gun up to Topper's head. You are the complete opposite of peaceful, twenty four seven." 

It was true. A few nights after the hurricane, the Pogues threw a kegger down on the beach in The Cut. It was the same night that I'd met Elizabeth. Word spread fast that Topper and John B we're fighting. Topper was drowning John B in the ocean, ultimately resulting in JJ holding a gun to the Kook's head. I wasn't surprised though, Topper deserved it. But, JJ did have anger issues.

He pointed his finger at me, with a huge grin across his face. "You also have no room to talk. I heard you got into some fight with Rafe the other day too."

"Okay, fine." I give in to the blonde across from me. He must have heard from Kiara about my fight with cocaine addict, Rafe Cameron. "You have only a few moments of my time. So, make it worth it."

JJ hesitated, his hand running through his wet hair. "I need your help." He admitted. "With what?" I questioned, my eyes locking with his bright blue ones.

     He was cautious with his word choice, "So, there's something going on with your parents. I need some insider information."

"Oh, shit." I sighed, most likely already knowing what he was going to say. Even though I knew, I wasn't going to give in that easily. If JJ is coming to me for help, I am going to let him sweat it out a little bit. "Why should I help you?"

     The blonde haired boy smirked, immediately recognizing the game that I was playing. He decided to play back, "I can offer you a kiss in exchange for information."

As soon as the words left his mouth I splashed water at him, causing him to jerk back in defense. "Fuck off, I don't want any of that from you." I laughed, glad to be a source of annoyance for him since he annoyed the hell out of me every time I saw him.