Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

"No of course not." She sputters then resumes teaching.

The rest of the day was long. All I wanted was  to get this cast off and start walking. I needed it. I needed to play. I needed to play next week. We would lose if I didn't play. The boys were shit without me.

When the day finally ended, I made the ten minute drive to the doctors office. I pulled in and parked in the closest spot I could. I walk inside and give the receptionist my name then I go and sit down. My phone buzzes in my pocket. It was either Justice or Micah, since those were the only two I texted and my parents never texted me anything other than to tell me I was watching my sister. But she was at a sleepover. I pull out my phone. I had a message from Micah. Not exactly the one I wanted to talk to but I would. He was at practice where I was heading after this.

Gone in yet? It read.

Nope just got here. It's pretty empty though so I should get in soon.

Good

Coach wants you back ASAP.

Team meeting.

Fuck ok. I'll be there as soon as I can.

I sigh and lean my head back against the wall. Team meetings were never a good thing. They meant he was mad. Real mad. My phone buzzes again.

Hey babe

I chuckle.

Hi, J

What's up?

Two things

One, I found a nickname. Imma call you babe

Two, good luck today. Idk if you've seen the doc yet but either way good luck

Two things

One, I call you babe. Pick something else.

Two, I haven't seen the doc yet.

Two point five, I wish you were here with me.

Haha way to muck me.You have so many nicknames for me. I'm staking claim on babe.

I wish I was with you too. Instead I have to go to practice.

Hey don't complain. I wish I could practice. I'm dying to put on my cleats and work out my aggression.

You can work out your aggression on me. ;)

Mm gladly ;)

What are you doing tonight?

Nothing after practice. Why?

FaceTime?

Like talking?

That or something else. ;)

"Reed Archer?" I look up at the nurse and send one final text to Justice while standing up.

Gotta go J, I'll text you after I find out. See you tonight.

With that final text sent, I pocket my phone and follow the nurse into a room.

"Doctor will be in shortly." She says and leaves.

My doctor was male. Dr. Gregory. He was a middle aged guy and didn't seem to like me much. Probably because when I finally go in to see him, I have a whole list of items wrong with me. And I usually never came back for follow ups.  This time, however, I needed to come back and this was the only issue I was aware of.

Dr. Gregory walks into the room and walks over to his computer. He doesn't say a word as he puts on hand sanitizer and logs in.

"Ah, removing the cast. Right." He mutters to himself. "Alright, Mr. Archer, are you ready?"

"More than." I grumble.

The whole process doesn't take long as he removes the cast.

"It's a little swollen but you should be clear to play in the game next week. I would suggest sitting out this game. However if at any point you're in any kind of pain while you're walking or playing I want you to come out of the game and start using the crutches again. Do RICE: rest, ice, compression and elevate until swelling goes down. I don't want you practicing until the swelling is all gone. Which means that if the swelling isn't down in time for the game next week, I don't want you playing." He says sternly. I roll my eyes.

"Can I have my doctor's note now?" I scowl.

"Of course. Give me a second to print and grab it." He leaves the room and I sit back into my chair. I tap my foot and wait for him to return. He does so a couple of minutes later. "Here you go."

"Thanks." I take it and head towards checkout. I quickly leave and hop into my car.

I make the ten minute drive back to school and head out to the fields. It felt good being able to walk. It hurt a little bit but that wasn't going to stop me. When I got closer to the field, I could feel something in the air. Something was wrong. Upon arriving at the field where the team was, I made eye contact with Justice. The scowl in my face drops for a split second but I harden it onto my face.

"Archer, nice of you to join us." Coach calls, all heads turn in my direction.