XXIX

Arebel screamed then quickly covered her mouth as she watched both of them slowly begin to fall to the earth. She looked around for a rope or a mattress or soft grass anything that would soften their fall, for the first time in her life she wished she had talents.

She looked around for the horses but they were too far, so she began to run toward them, while wondering who she would save and who she would let die. As she ran towards them, somebody sped past her on a horse and used earth talent to create a wide, bouncy sandy pit to catch Anatole while he launched himself off his horse and caught Valeria few metres above hard ground.

Anatole landed in the sandy pit, bounced off but the person immediately created a stretchy net around the pit so he landed back into the pit instead of flying off.

Seeing Valeria was fine, Arebel went to check on Anatole.

"Are you ok?" She asked him as he lay in the pit.

"Some sand got into my mouth but other than that I am fine." He looked around the pit then at her, "Is this your work?"

"No, it is his" Arebel replied, pointing at the stranger who saved them.

"Hey!!" Anatole shouted at the man, "Let me out."

"Is that how you say thank you?"The man asked.

Anatole sighed and rolled his eyes" Thank you"

The man helped Valeria sit on the ground, then snapped his fingers. The sandy pit and net dissapeared and became normal ground. Anatole laid on the ground, "Val, I believe this ends as a tie. What do you say?"

"Dont shout so loud, my ears are ringing."Valeria replied, " But yes it is a tie."

Looking at both of them, the strange man asked Valeria" You know him?"

Arebel jumped in before she could reply," They are brother and sister"

Still looking at Valeria, he said "Let me guess, you strengthen your bond by having fights to the death."

"We were sharpening our skills."She replied.

"Yeah, what she said."Anatole said as he tried to stand, but the world began to spin as he stood up, so he fell but Arebel caught him.

"You should lay down for a while, you landed head first into my sandy pit.Without the pit, we would have had bits and pieces of your brain everywhere."

Anatole grumbled "I already said thank you, what more does he want?"

"Can you help me up, please?" Valeria asked the stranger.

"No" he replied and whistled. His horse trotted over to him in response to the whistle.

He stroked his horse's head and spoke gently to it, calling her a good girl and saying she was amazing.

"I am guessing you own the camp setup i passed."

"Yes it is ours."Anatole replied, having recovered some strength.

"And you, you didn't ever think of stopping the' training' did you?" He asked Arebel.

Arebel was dumbfounded.

"Dont blame her for this" Anatole said as he leaned on Arebel for support.

"Why not? Is she your lover? Just look at the trees set on fire or destroyed in the name od your training."

Anatole shooed rhe stranger with his hand"They would grow back."

"Just quench the burning ones already Nato."Valeria said as she stood to her feet.