Chapter 19 Preparations

Shane, Lori, and Carl were stuck in a traffic jam leading to Atlanta, and the cars were backed up for miles. Shane, Lori, and Carl decided to get out of the SUV and stretch their legs. Lori told Carl to stay close just in case the traffic started moving again. While they were walking, Lori and Carl met a woman named Carol, who had a daughter named Sophia.

Sophia asked Carl if he wanted to play checkers while they waited for the traffic to start moving. While they were waiting, Carl informed his mother that he was hungry, “Let's go back and see what Harry packed in your bag, Carl. I'm sure your brother packed you something to eat,” Lori told Carl.

Lori took Carl back to the car. She looked around to make sure no one was looking and pull out Carl's backpack. She reached into the pack up to her elbow until she felt something warm. Lori pulled out a basket that was filled with fried chicken, mashed potatoes, some corn, and a few bottles of pumpkin juice. There were also some plates and utensils in the basket.

Carl smiled up at his mother, “Can I ask Sophia to join us, Mom?”

“Sure, Honey, why don't you ask Carol as well?”

“Okay.”

Carl ran off and asked Carol and Sophia if they wanted to eat some food with them. Carol looked at her husband, Ed, to see what he would say, but he ignored her, “Sure, Carl, we'll join you.”

Carol and Sophia went back to Lori's car, where Lori was dishing out food on plates for Carl and the others, “Wow, when Carl said you had food, I thought he meant sandwiches, this is wonderful.”

“Carl's older brother packed it for us before we left.”

“Where's your older boy,” Carol asked.

“He stayed behind to wait for his dad; they'll join us in Atlanta later.”

Carol nodded, and they ate in silence. When Shane came back, Lori served him some chicken as well. He looked at her oddly, “Harry,” Lori said. And Shane nodded.

The little group ate their meal until Shane heard what sounded like bombs going off in the distance. Lori and Shane looked at each other, worried, “You stay here; I'm going up further ahead to see what that is.”

“I'm going with you,” Lori said, “Carl, stay here with Carol, is that alright, Carol?”

“That's fine, Lori.”

Shane and Lori took off through the cars to see if they could get a better view of Atlanta, what they saw horrified them. Bombs were going off all over the city and helicopters were coming in bombing the city, “My god, they're napalming the city,” Shane said in anguish

Shane and Lori stood there and watched as Atlanta burned. Lori couldn't take it anymore and started crying. She hid her face in Shane's chest while Shane rubbed her back in soothing circles, “We have to get out of here. I need to find a safe place for you and Carl.”

“What about Rick and Harry? They're going to head for Atlanta to look for us.”

“Harry and Rick will find us, Lori. I know they will. Especially with Harry's magic,” Shane said in a whisper, “You have to believe that.”

Meanwhile, Harry and Rick were hunkered down at the house. It's been two hours since Harry administered everything to Rick, and he still hasn't woken up. The only explanation that Harry could think of was that it's because Rick was a squib, and he's been unconscious for such a long time that it was taking longer for his body to react.

Harry looked out the window, and he could see the walkers wandering around the streets looking for something or someone to eat. They would walk around aimlessly and bump into each other and into some of the parked cars. The good thing was that the wards were working precisely like they were supposed to; any time a walker would get close to the house, it would suddenly veer off. Harry had modified the wards a little so that it allowed animals that were being hunted to come through so that they would be safe. The last thing he wanted to see was an animal get torn apart.