***

"Will you ride today? It's raining."

"I will." Doors to the chambers were smashed open and all those in attendance looked up as the eldest son of Goryeo came in, face set in stone.

"Seo Jun, what do you want?" He didn't reply, instead he turned his sights on the sniveling little shit who sat next to him, eyes mocking him. Pushing the other attendants out of the way, he drew back his fist and punched the tiny little smirk off of his face, one that would have been missed had he not been paying attention. He fell out of his chair.

"Seo Jun!" Grabbing him up by the collar of his jeodori, he punched him again. His father tried to to pull him off of him.

"What is the meaning of this! Explain yourself!" He didn't reply, trying to hit him again but this time he blocked it. He was hurled back by other attendees and fell to the floor with a grunt.

"Get out! NOW." Their father hollered, face red, shoving him as he tried to stand. Falling again, he glared at the self righteous little fuck, who even with blood trickling down his chin had the nerve to smirk, wider than before. Upturning the empty chairs, he made his exit, his voice yelling at the servants loud and thunderous as it faded down the hall.

Turning towards the subjects that had been taken by surprise, he bowed his head.

"I'm deeply sorry for my son. Cheol Su-"

"I'm fine Father. Continue." He held up a hand and reached into his pocket, retrieving a handkerchief. Lifting it to his mouth, he dappled at the blood that seeped from his busted lip. Swallowing thickly, his father took his time sitting down and the meeting continued as planned.

***

The smell is what hit him first and it smacked the drunkenness right out of him. Groaning, he covered his nose and slowly opened his eyes. Looking over into a pair of glazed over eyes, he shot up. Flies crawled around inside of a decayed nose and mouth and he yelled, nearly tripping over his desk to get away from it. Coughing, he began to retch. Eyes filled with teary rage. What the fuck was this? Lifting his rumpled jeoduri from the floor, he covered his mouth as he neared it. His heart dropped as he began to recognize the face the severed head belonged to. Throat tight, he watched as the flies consumed it, covering it in a sea of squirming black.

***

Opening the doors to his chambers, he leaned back against them. All morning, he had been entertaining Jae Hwa's parents and talks of their marriage had increased to a sickening high. His father and mother had agreed that come Spring of the upcoming year, after his coronation they would wed. They would then make their first public appearance as King and Queen before the Summer. The thoughts of it made him nauseous.

But one such thought took it right out of him. He'd finally given his brother the gift he'd been saving. He'd entrusted the head to the most skilled mummifiers in the land. He'd had it stuffed with coin and jewels, a promised contract that he could honor and see finalized. The flies had come, drawn to the mummified flesh and open air. The buzzing surely woke him and once it had, he got the message loud and clear.

Smirking to himself, he reached up and pulled his hair out of the topknot. Sitting the silver holder and pin on one of the tables, he sat down at his desk. Their heated conversation came to mind, one that had only just occurred a few days ago.

***

"Move out of my way."

"Fuck you...Hyung." For the first time ever, he refused to show him respect, deciding that the bastard wasn't worth it. Had never been worth it but oh for the tradition. The man sneered and shoved him down the small set of stairs.