Mother's Day (1996)

Disclaimer: this is a super short one shot that I quickly conjured up on the fly. It's not my best work, but I thought I'd share a little snippet of what I think El's first Mother's Day would look like. Hope you guys enjoy!

***********

Life was a complicated slate of decisions. Choosing the roles we want to fulfill dictates the lives we intend to live. Some desire to obtain the status of leader while others may have the urge to exist creatively. For El, she had always known she was a fighter. However, her ability to succeed in battles was not her ultimate goal. In truth, she was a natural nurturer. The empathy she withheld oozed from her heart and assisted in providing human life with comfort; which is why her greatest wish was to care for a family of her own.

Envisioning a family with her beloved partner had always been one of her favorite fantasies. The idea of safeguarding the perfect combination of her and her lover was something that made her soul feel fulfilled with flowers. Wishing for this occurrence was something entirely different than it being reality. Eleven recognized this now ever since she and Mike had welcomed their first child. She never truly knew the power and love she had within her body until her eyes locked with her daughter's.

On a Sunday morning in May, El found herself waking up to the sun's bright glow. Her hands gravitated to the left of her as she unconsciously searched for her husband. However, her brows soon furrowed as her fingers were met with cold sheets and lonesome pillows.

Just as confusion and worry began to fester within her, it was soon terminated as her lanky partner came bounding into the room. El automatically grinned at the sight of Mike; his hair was disheveled and his pajamas were immensely wrinkled. Seconds after she had observed her love's appearance, she was then able to recognize his occupied hands. On his left, he was desperately trying to balance a tray of food; while on his right, he had a firm hold on their dotting daughter. The moment Willow's ten month old eyes caught ahold of her's, a shrill squeal escaped her.

Mike; still unaware of his wife's consciousness, delicately sat the tray down at the end of the bed as he whispered, "we have to be quiet, angel, mommy's still sleeping."

Willow sassily replied to his statement with a harsh huff. Having witnessed this exchange, El couldn't hold herself back any longer as she released a loud giggle.

A bewildered Mike glanced over at his wife in shock. He never got tired of appreciating the way she looks each morning. Her eyes were as bright as ever and her skin was naturally tinted with a heavenly flush. After taking a moment to drink in the sight of her, he spoke, "baby, what are you doing awake?"

Eleven shrugged nonchalantly, "I realized you weren't beside me and I was worried."

Mike grinned at her brightly as he absorbed her sweet words. Then, his smile slightly disappeared as he bit his lip. In truth, he had really been wanting her to be asleep so that everything was set up perfectly for her.

"Can you lay back down and pretend to sleep?" Mike fidgeted with his fingers as he began to ramble, "I just.. it's stupid, but I had this idea in mind and I wanted it to go perfectly for you—"

El interrupted him smoothly, "I have no idea what you're up to Michael Wheeler, but your wish is my command."

As soon as she had laid her head back down and shut her eyes, Mike went out into the hallway. He briefly readjusted Willow's outfit and bopped her nose as he murmured, "remember, this is for mommy, okay? Let's make her smile."

He reentered the room then; quickly fixing up the tray of food, before gently placing his daughter onto his wife's chest. El dazzlingly smiled as she questioned, "can I open my eyes now?"