Hardest to Love (1987)

One of my lovely readers on AO3; CindyA, requested I write a little tale about Mike finding a scar on El that came from the lab. Little bit of hurt, a whole lot of fluffy comfort. As per usual, poorly edited. Regardless, I hope you all enjoy!

PSA: this does include mentions to El's past. There's description of mild abuse/mention of blood. Please read with caution.

***********

The crack of thunder and hum of synchronized breaths being shared were the only sounds to be heard in the Wheeler's basement. Mike and El were seeking refuge from the storm within the fort that they were unable to admit having grown out of. So, there they were, a heap of scattered limbs that stuck out from beneath the framework sheets.

As always, Mike had his hands roaming comfortably across the heavenly landscape of soft skin that El graciously offered. The more time they spent together, the more intimate their bond became. One of his favorite things to do included running his lengthy fingers through her hair as she tended to release sweet content sighs in response to his actions. Her happy coos composed his favorite symphony and kept him yearning to hear more. He could practically feel her sounds vibrating within his chest as her head laid pressed to his heart.

He became lost in silently praising her until he noticed something he had never gotten a chance to ask her about before. Taking his thumb, he gently caressed against an indented marking that graced the lower left side of her neck. El looked upward at him at this time and took note of the way his eyebrows were now furrowed in characteristic concern.

El traced her fingers along the lines of his forehead as she curiously asked, "what's on your mind?"

He startled slightly at her sudden voice, but continued onward with memorizing the mark on her skin. Mike's eyes landed on her's for a moment before he questioned, "I've never asked you about this scar. What happened?"

There was a thick pause that filled the air. Mike recognized the way her eyes skirted down and he could swear he had visibly witnessed a lump in her throat form. Before she could get too lost in her thoughts, he placed his palm against her cheek and redirected the golden brown haze of her irises back to him.

"We don't have to talk about it. I just felt bad that I had never asked," Mike carefully explained.

El shook her head and wiggled closer to him as she bluntly confirmed his suspicions, "it's from the lab."

The air in his lungs seemed the condense and caused a rattling sensation within his ribcage. It never got easier for him; remembering that his soulmate was once tethered to unimaginable terrors. The digits on her wrist that he kissed sweetly each waking day was just one of the many declarations of abuse that remained on her canvas. He was then haunted by the realization that he would likely find more scars each summer that rolled around as the expanse of her skin would be more on display.

Sensing his unease, El bumped her nose with his as she expressed, "I know it's hard for you to hear, we don't have to talk about it—"

"W-wait," Mike stuttered forward, stopping briefly to press a kiss in her favorite spot behind her ear before he started to ramble, "yes, it's hard. It hurts me to hear about how you were treated, but it's important for me to know so I can be aware. We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, but I want to hear everything about you. I want to hear about the good things; like which songs are your favorites. But I also want to hear the things that hurt, so I can be there for you."

As soon as Mike finished talking, a dark blush coated his cheeks as he reflected on his sappy declaration. However, just as soon as the blood had rushed to his face, he quickly felt it drain as several tear drops landed on his hand. He drank in the sight of her scrunched up face; and even while she cried, he couldn't help but recognize the beauty she withheld. He snapped into reacting rapidly as he cradled her face in his hands. He laid kisses on her cheeks and did not cease his motions until he heard her gracious giggle.