"Rin."

I looked at him between my fingers. His gaze was soft, happy even. Hesitantly, I lowered my hands.

"I'm absolutely in love with you."

I couldn't help it. I started crying.

"No, no, no, no," he said, panic in his voice. "I'm sorry. I didn't think -"

I hid my face in my hands. Of all things, he had to go and say that. But I had known it, hadn't I? And, didn't I feel the same too?

"Please don't cry," Alexander said his voice strain. "Nobody said this would happen. I-"

This time, he pulled against his chest. Alexander held me tightly. I covered my mouth with both hands, trying to stop but it was no use. Alexander rubbed my back and kept holding me, quietly.

I squeezed my eyes shut. I needed to tell him before he got the wrong idea. Before I could stop myself, I pushed away from Alexander.  I could barely see him.

"I love you too," I sobbed out. 

He held my face in both hands and kissed me, hard.  Alexander pulled me into his chest again. 

"There, there," he said, softly. "Let it out. I got you."

The tears somehow stopped but I continued to dry sob. Just when I thought I was done, I started up again.

"I'm so scared," I hiccupped. "What if I  get hate mail and even death threats?"

"I won't let anyone hurt you," he promised.

"Yeah, but it won't stop anyone who knows me from telling the whole world about me."

"Have some trust."

I sniffed and rubbed my puffy eyes. "It's not going to be difficult for people to figure out where we go to school."

Alexander cupped my face in his hands. He pressed his forehead against mine.

"No one will ever hurt you," he repeated. "I'll make sure of that."

I nodded. He kissed me again before pulling me close.

"Ugh, I need water," I muttered.

"Let me get some for you."

Alexander walked out of my bedroom. I followed after him, trying to be as quiet as possible. Instead of following him down to the kitchen, I went into the bathroom. I didn't bother to turn the light on.

I washed my face, trying to get rid of the tears. When I got back to my room, Alexander was waiting for me with a glass of water.

Smiling gratefully, I took the glass from him and chugged it down. Sighing, I placed the glass on the bedside table and joined Alexander on the bed.

"Do you need more water?" he asked.

"I'm okay," I whispered. I sighed. This was wrong.

"Thanks for dropping by," I told him. "It's getting late and it's been a very long day."

"Just like that?" he asked. His voice was pained.

I met his gaze. "It has to be," I said. "You're still engaged."

"Rin, don't say that."

"You are," I said. "I feel guilty to Cassidy."

"She doesn't care."

"How do you know?"

Alexander rubbed his face. "I hate not being with you."

My heart squeezed. "You can't say that to me."

Groaning, Alexander spread out on my bed. "I really hate this. If two people love each other, why can't they be together."

I shrugged. "Unlucky, I guess."

"But, if we managed to end this engagement," he continued, ignoring me. "Would you still date me?"

I bit my lip. "I'm still bitter you lied to me," I replied.

"That doesn't answer my question."

Shrugging, I looked away. "You probably have to woo me properly."

Alexander sat up. "I'll make sure to do it properly then."

I glanced at him. A slight smile pulled on his lips. Shaking my head, I laid back down, my back towards him.

"Do what you want," I whispered.

Moments later, a warm ball of fur snuggled beside my head.

'I will,' came his reply.