𝑪𝒉. 2 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝑹𝒂𝒕𝒔 (𝒑𝒕. 𝒊)

Start from the beginning

He looked at his brother's room and made a face. Okay..... so he could sorta understand why....

But even so, Billy had made a promise to leave them alone so he couldn't of actually hurt Mike; and if he'd threatened him—sorry, when he'd threatened him—he couldn't go through with them, because he knew Dylan would find out immediately and beat the living shit out of him.

Besides, since when had Mike had any reservations sticking up to Billy at all?

Something was weird; and maybe it had something to do with the way that Billy seemed off when he came back home unexpectedly.

Chewing his lip, Dylan jumped off his bed and walked over to Max's room. He knocked on the door lightly.

"Come in," He sister said and Dylan walked in to see her and El, who'd come over today, reading magazines on her floor.

"Can I use your phone?" He asked hesitantly, closing the door.

Max slowly nodded, a discerned look on her face. "He still not here?" She inquired as Dylan dialled the number.

Dylan sighed and shook his head. "No," he murmured as he put the phone up to his ear.

The phone rang for a couple of seconds before it was picked up. "Hello, this is the Wheeler's!" A fake cheery voice stated.

Dylan rubbed his face. "Hi Mrs. Wheeler," he said, trying to sound as bright as her—he just sounded tired. "It's Dylan. Is Mike available?"

"Oh hey Dylan! Yes he is, just one sec, I'll call him," she chirped happily and Dylan envied her for it. Telling him Mike was available was actually bad news for him because it meant that the boy didn't have a plausible excuse for leaving him hanging. "MIKE! PHONE!"

•••••••

"MIKE! PHONE!"

Son of a bitch.

"Okay!" Mike called back weakly, nerves wracking throughout his entire body. He knew it was Dylan—it had to be Dylan! He was supposed to be at his place more than thirty minutes ago! Who else could it be?

Shaking his hands slightly, he reached for the phone, prayed a little, before bringing it up to his ear.

"Hello?"

•••••••

Dylan sighed, feeling a wave of nerves and guilt being transferred through the phone. Well, this was already off to a good start.

"Hi," he said idly, glancing at Max and El who, for their credit, were pretending that they weren't listening in. It didn't bother him though; he could care less. Judging from the feels he was getting from Mike, he already knew which direction this conversation was going.

He sighed, leaning against the wall. "So.....are you planning on coming at all, or....?" He asked dryly.

•••••••

Mike bit his lip, feeling guilty again. Fuck, he wasn't happy with him.

"S-sorry I was um, I-I was just about to call!" He said, lying smoothly.

••••••

Dylan arched an eyebrow. That lie was anything but smooth.

•••••••

Mike let out a shudder breath, tapping his fingers against the wall. "I....." he closed his eyes, gathering courage. "I can't see you today."