Chapter 19

Deacon had been holding Rory’s hand more often since their date, at least around the house. Rory had been worried at first that his mom would freak out about it or something, but she seemed fine with it, as long as it was only that.

Rory had gotten used to the touching, too. It didn’t bother him much at all. He liked the warm feeling of another hand, and he liked the gentle squeezes that Deacon would give him every once and a while.

Kristen would actually share a space in a room with them now. She still glared on occasion but not all the time like she had been doing before. Rory had been considering talking to her, but talking to people was not his strength. He was likely to let something slip up, like how Deacon had technically cheated on her. That would not end well.

He figured if anyone was going to talk to Kristen that it would be Deacon, and he would know when to do it. He was a people person enough, where Rory was not.

Deacon was still happy over their date a few days before. He kept asking Rory if he’d had fun, as if expecting the answer to change for some reason.

“Stop asking me!” Rory groaned, hiding his face in his pillow after what had to be the hundredth time.

Deacon glanced up from his national geographic that he was reading. It was actually Rory’s, but Deacon came into his room to read them all the time. He made sure to always sit on the floor, and Rory was sure it was because of his mom.

“I just want to make sure,” Deacon said. “You can tell me if you didn’t, I won’t be upset.”

“I had fun,” Rory stated again, meeting Deacon’s eyes firmly. “I liked the food. I think the belly dancer was weird. I think you spent too much money. And no, I wasn’t thinking about food preparation the entire time, not until you brought it up.”

Deacon laughed. “Guess I’m just that good, then.”

Rory rolled his eyes, unwilling to admit that he knew things were slightly better when he was around Deacon. “Do you think Kristen will ever stop glaring at us?” Rory couldn’t help but ask.

Deacon just shrugged and flipped another page. “”She will. And I don’t think that it’s really us, I think it’s mostly me that bothers her the most.”

“Why? You guys broke up. She has a boyfriend, she should be moving on,” Rory complained.

“It’s not that easy. She feels like I was lying to her, which I basically was. And then on top of it, it’s like I’m saying that she wasn’t good enough for me, but you were.”

“Have you actually tried talking to her though? I mean, telling her about your dad and your brother and the pressure they were putting on you… and that you were gay before her, not just because of me?” Rory figured it was all plain and simple to him.

Deacon only shrugged again. “She’ll get over it.”