Too Many Children

She says that some of us have to go. Where? That I'm not sure about. What I really want to know is, how old is too old? She talks about our ages a lot and favors the littler ones. That makes me nervous. I don't want to go anywhere; I like it here for the most part. It can get a little crowded at times, but I don't mind. I like having people to talk to, people I'm friends with. Maybe being friends with your siblings is weird, but we're not actually siblings.

Miss sometimes brings home babies, adding to the collection of children and young teenagers that stay in her home. It's a rather large home, but it still manages to be crowded most of the time. Sometimes some of the older kids go missing. Miss says that they ran away, but I'm not so sure. Most of the other children enjoyed living here as well, it's been their only home for as long as they can remember. 

Sometimes I wonder what happened to those kids, other times I wonder if I'm also going to "run-away" in the near future. Most of the runaways had just reached their 15th birthday when they left. My 15th birthday is tomorrow and I'm terrified. I don't want to leave; I want to stay here where it's warm and I get to spend time with the littles. I like the kids, and often help Miss take care of them.

As I lay in bed that night, listening to the soft creaks of the house and the crickets outside, I closed my eyes and started to drift off to sleep. My eyes fly open as I sense something above me, and I see Miss standing over me with a knife....