Champagne and promises.

Start from the beginning

“And did I tell you about that?” Bella began in most clandestine low voice and suspense perked all ears.

“No, you didn’t.” Maggie whispered, curiously. Eden and Carol moved closer in pre-emption.

“Today…”

“mm-hmm.”

“In the late morning…”

“Yes. Yes?”

“I was changing the towels on the second floor when heavy footsteps suddenly filled in the corridor…”

Maggie, Eden and Carol nodded together in great focus.

“It was the loud pounding arrogance of the approaching noise that made me step aside and stand still by the wall of the corridor. I was practically scared. And then, the voice came closer and closer until it passed by me. And can you believe me who it was??”

“Who was it?” the three questioned together, mesmerized by the tell-tale.

“Lord Stephen Adelwood.”

Truly? Eden scrunched her face in disinterest. That’s not a big trouble. I have always seen him like that.

“Yes Eden.” Bella remarked pitifully. “I was as shocked as you are.”

“You were?”

“Of course.” Bella nodded. “But that was not the only touch of surprise. I dared to take a look at him as he passed me and I noticed how disheveled he was. He was not wearing his coat; it was clutched up in his hand. He was walking in his waistcoat. His hair was all blown back for he had, like, just returned from somewhere. And the most shocking affair was….”

Maggie sucked in an overly deep breath of anticipation.

“…his hand. His hand was bleeding profusely. The back of his palm was all caked with blood. I was so freaked out. A gentleman like him returns home fuming, with his hand bleeding! What does that mean?”

“Something very serious.” Carol mumbled.

“He stormed straight into his study and slammed the door shut with such great force, so much that I heard the frame behind me rattle. And some moment later, I saw his steward rush into his room, poor man. I had never seen Lord Adelwood so much out of his elements.”

“But…” Oh, and Maggie had her doubts ready, already. “But Mrs. Hopkins said that he was in a good mood. And that there was something joyous to be announced tonight.”

“I know not.” Bella shrugged. “But what I saw was too real to be untrue. You all can look for his wounded hand, if you do not believe.”

True or not, either way, this evening was going to be memorable one.

***

After half an hour of failed sleeping effort, Eden at last opened her eyes and stared at the bright grey bedside wall that was staring back at her. The room was too luminous, thanks to the huge, hopelessly large window at the other wall and  since it was only late afternoon, the vibrancy of outside gave her no hope for any rest within.

Besides, there was this Maggie, rampaging the whole room. She couldn’t find her blue sash.

“Maggie…”Eden groaned at the loud slamming of cupboard behind.

“I thought you were asleep.” Maggie paused from her search and commented.

“With you in the same room? Really?” Eden rolled over, and was blinded by light of the window.