"If I lose you then I'll have lost everything."

"Is that so?" Lifting a hand from her waist, he gently took her cheek in his palm and brought her gaze up to his.

"You mean more to me than words can express Tiye. You're the only one I can be me around. You know that." Her cheeks grew red and she bit her lip, nodding only once. Letting go of her cheek, he swallowed thickly and she took one step back from him, nothing more.

"In that moment Wangja-nim... you...you made me feel unsafe. Something I never thought I would feel around you. In that one moment, I felt as though you would cast me aside for your own benefit again and again if needed. I felt disposable." Pulling her back against him, he pressed his nose against her hair, the smell of spice filling his nostrils.

"You are anything but disposable to me. For having made you feel this way I am deeply regretful. The last thing I want is for you to feel as though you cannot come to me when you need warmth. Protection. Or safety. Of everything else Tiye, I want to be your safe place. Where you too can continue to be you without judgement." She slowly lifted her arms to press them against his chest and he didn't let her go until she made him, gently pushing him back with her hands.

"Your apology. I accept." Smiling, he lifted his sleeves.

"Dong Il can be stubborn if you don't work quickly." Returning his smile with one of her own, she nodded and together they began to clean the beast.

***

"Look at them. Have they always been that close?"

"Jae Hwa-"

"Just a moment ago he was hugging her as a man would a lover."

"My brother has always had a soft spot for that one. She's his favorite and therefore he spoils her rotten."

"I don't understand what he sees in her."

"You speak as though Cheol Su is in love with the girl." Mishil laughed at the thought before forcing her friend away from the open window.

"As Mother has always told me, men have their favorites. Regardless of if they are wed or not. It is simply in their nature and thus we should let it be."

"Hm."

"Enough about them. I want to do something fun."

***

After cleaning Dong Il, the two leaned back against the ledge, watching as he happily munched on some carrots and lettuce.

"He feels much better. Thank you." She waved it off with a cluck of her tongue.

"Dong Il does so much for us. It is only right we take care of him too."

"Mm." Smiling at her, he observed her as she sighed and leaned her head back, the wind cooling what he was sure was overheated skin. Just as he had then as a boy, perhaps he found Tiye more beautiful now than ever. Sure, she was considerably shorter than he but everything else about her was...was ideal.

"Why are you staring at me so hard Wangja-nim? Do I have horse dung on my face?" Clearing his throat, he ran fingers through his hair.

"I miss your hair." She blinked, confusion etching into her features.

"My...hair?"

"Before Father had it cut, it was fascinating. Remember I used to sit and watch you braid it?" She reached up and ran fingers across her short hair.