Chapter 21

Petir and Cahaya are the talk of the school.

It's not every day you see two boys holding hands everywhere they go.

"I miss the times where they talked about how cool we looked than our relationship." Cahaya clenched his teeth, glancing at the group of guys that were not-so subtly talking about them about their existence. "It's not like we're dating."

Petir looked up from his comic, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm not sure if you noticed," he said sceptically, "but things are different here."

"I noticed. I'm actually surprised you survived the stench of that gym."

"I didn't. I always numb my nose with eucalyptus so I don't have to deal with it. I can't make this up."

"Mind if you loan me next PE?"

"No."

"What, you scared that I'll overtake your status as best athlete?"

Petir didn't remark anything to that.

Cahaya knew he was hiding a lot of things, but he was determined to know all of them. He wanted things to return to how they were, at least as much as he can.

He wanted time to rewind, so they would never be separated ever again.

He didn't want to be thrown back to the time where he could rely on no one but himself. He was afraid of loneliness, and it was bound to him for being the best.

It was a burden that no one could see.

"Hey, Petir," Cahaya started, looking straight at his face. Petir changed. Subtle changes that he never saw. The bags under his eyes were more visible. His hair was unkempt. The freckles on his face had faded to ink marks.

Petir blinked. "Yeah?"

"If..." Cahaya put his hand on Petir's. His hand was shaking, and he knew Petir felt it. "If you could come back to Celestium Academy, would you?"

The smile was wiped from Petir's face instantly, but it wasn't out of despair or horror. It was surprise, as if he was presented with a chance that only came in a dream at night. A fantasy that was far away, like it was out from a fairy tale.

Under Cahaya's hand, Petir balled his fists, but there was no force.

"Of course." Petir smiled faintly at him. This time, it was a genuine smile, with no hidden rivalry intentions behind it. "I love being there with you."

Cahaya nodded, blinking away tears.

He doesn't hate me.

Cahaya stared at him, then slapped his head.

"You're so clingy."

Petir glared back, rubbing his head that didn't hurt. "Says the one going everywhere looking for me. Heard you wanted a yearbook to look for me, hm?"

"How are you sure that I'm not just looking for competition?" Cahaya snapped. "I need a replacement, but now that you're here, you just saved me some trouble."

"Just admit you miss me."

"I miss the time when you shut up."

"Aw. Still me."

"Damn you."

Somewhere, outside the classroom, hid another student.

Tanah held his hand to his eyes, trying to stop his tears from flowing.