▬▬ 29. CHANCES

Începe de la început

⠀⠀"Hey, Scamander," Bell said, "do you have a minute before you go?"
⠀⠀"Yeah," Laurel said, nodding. She waved her coworkers goodbye, heading to the office. She placed her finished report in the basket which contained all the other finished reports Bell had to go over, taking a seat in front of Bell's desk. Laurel then noticed the envelope Callen had brought in this morning sitting on the desk. She looked at Bell expectantly.
⠀⠀"I called you in because I know you're one of our best coroners around," Bell said, her hands resting on the envelope. "And I wanted you to take this case." She slid the envelope across the desk towards Laurel, who gingerly picked it up. She opened it, pulling out the case file inside.

REQUEST FILLED BY: NEW YORK AUROR DEPARTMENT OF THE MAGICAL CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

⠀⠀Her eyes widened immediately. "New York?"
⠀⠀"I know, I know," Bell said, her voice calm. "It's a bit far. Just keep reading." So she did.

INVESTIGATION: SUSPICION OF A MOLE IN THE MACUSA. BELIEVED TO BE PART OF A SECRET MAGIC SOCIETY OF ORGANIZED CRIME. SUSPICION OF MAGICAL SUBSTANCES USED.

SPECIAL REQUESTS: HELP FROM THE BRITISH INVESTIGATIVE HEALER DEPARTMENT. BEST OF THE BEST. SOMEONE WITH EXPERTISE. MISS LAUREL PANDORA SCAMANDER SPECIFICALLY, IF POSSIBLE.

⠀⠀Laurel didn't have to take two guesses to figure out who had filed the request. She finally tore her eyes off the page, flipping through the polaroids that were also included in the envelope. Most were dead bodies, all bruised and bloodied, foaming at the mouth. Except the foam was purple.

⠀⠀"Interested?" Bell asked.
⠀⠀"I'm really honored that you think so highly of me, Deputy. Truly," Laurel said, after a moment's pause. "But I need time to think about it."
⠀⠀"Alright. You cannot tell anyone. This case is confidential. Let me know as soon as possible."
⠀⠀Laurel nodded in response, getting up to leave the office. "You can trust me. I'll see you tomorrow."
⠀⠀Bell simply smiled and returned to her work as Laurel left the office, closing the door behind her. She walked back to her desk, just a little shaken up from the surprise of the case. Sitting down at her desk, she placed the file on it, staring at the brown envelope with CONFIDENTIAL stamped across it in bright red. If James had sought her help twice, could this be fake? Was this real? Or was this extremely urgent? He asked to meet March 1st, giving her time to think it over, but she didn't know if she wanted to see him again. Yet, she knew this would advance her career.

⠀⠀Sighing, she checked her watch, realizing she had about an hour until the gathering. Laurel quickly packed up her bag, grabbing her coat from her chair, heading to the lifts, leaving the case in her drawer, waving her wand to lock it.

⠀⠀She quickly headed home, hopped into the shower, fed her cat, and then quickly put on a nicer outfit before leaving her apartment (since she had anti-Apparition wards up and closed her fireplace to Floo access) and Disappirating to the front of Callen and Evan's house.

⠀⠀Heading to the red door with a the golden number inscribed across the front, she pulled the knocker, waiting for either Evan or Callen to answer. Instead of either, it was Asher. Laurel's face lit up in recognizing her good friend, throwing her arms around his lanky frame.

⠀⠀"Ash!" Laurel exclaimed, hugging him tight.
⠀⠀ "It's been too long," Asher replied, hugging her tight. Laurel pulled back, grinning at him.
⠀⠀"How are you and your girlfriend?" Laurel asked as she took off her shoes and her jacket, Asher shutting the door behind them, leading her through the corridor towards the kitchen. Laurel could already hear the loud chitter chatter of Dominique and Evan bantering as usual. She smiled.