Something to Fight For

Hector's Point of View

          I was enjoying Rosa's company. She was super nice and pretty funny. I knew that we were going to be really close friends, but in the back of my mind I was hoping that we would be something more. I found it very weird that I had grown feelings for a girl, especially one that I just met. I have never had a girlfriend and I never really got involved with girls so this was new to me.

        We spent a lot of time together from that point on. Before our next cycle of chemo we were with each other as much as possible. We would always go eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner together. Sometimes her brother would tag a long with us, I never minded but I knew that he was protective over her. I think he could tell that I liked her, but I don't blame a big brother for wanting to protect his little sister. My sister was like that and their relationship reminded me of mine with my sister. I missed her a lot. I debated on wether or not I should tell Rosa about Elise.

         It is now Thursday night and our second cycle of chemo is tomorrow. We were sitting on the bed in my room just talking and joking around when she brought up her brother.

         "My brother is the best brother I could ever have. He is always super nice and patient with me."

         "I-I have a sister."

         "You do? How old is she?"

         "She is eighteen and a half now and she was the best thing that ever happened to me. Her name is Elise."

         "How come she hasn't come to visit?"

         "S-she's dead."

         "Oh, Hector. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

         "No, you are fine. I actually wanted to tell you. I still get emotional about it sometimes and I will cry a little, so if you see me cry a bit now you know why."

         All of a sudden she leaned forward and wrapped her arms around me. I wrapped my arms around her too and let my head sit on her shoulder.

        "I'm sorry Hector."

        "Thank you."

        Her hug was so warm and comforting. I know it should be the other way around, but I felt safe and loved in her arms. I really did like this girl. She is one of the best things that have happened to me especially with all that has been going on. When she let go she smiled at me and I smiled back. I was glad to finally get Elise's story of my chest.

        We both started getting a little tired and decided to lay down and continue talking. We talked for a while until everything began to fade and the next thing I know I was waking up. I sat up and looked to my left and saw Rosa sleeping still. I tried waking her by lightly shaking her.

         "Rosa. C'mon. Wake up. You need to get back to your bed before anyone sees us like this."

         She opened her beautiful green eyes and looked right at me and smiled.

         "Good morning Rosa."

         "Good morning Hector. I didn't even know that we fell asleep last night."