Chapter 4: Defeated For Life

Anurag:

I was so thrilled that I couldn't hold my smile back, even Komolika noticed my glee today and asked me what was the cause, I managed to tell her I was excited because Diya's summer vacations were starting and I was looking forward to spend more time with her. Truth be told, I was excited because, I was hoping to see Sneha today, I had overheard Prerna talking to her over the phone, telling her she was going to pick her up from the airport; I realised my plan had worked and Diya had managed to convince Prerna into bringing Sneha home.

I had my plan set, I was going to go home from work by afternoon today, bake the best batch of fresh peanut butter cookies and keep it ready – when my cutie pie would walk in, I would give them to her myself, feed her myself – no matter how Prerna or Komolika reacted, no one would be able to stop me today, I was going to be with my baby girl today.

I was taken aback in the evening when Prerna came home, I was sitting in the hall all evening impatiently, trying to catch the first glimpse of Sneha, but when she walked in I was surprised. I was expecting to see a little girl with her, a girl slightly older than my Diyu – but the girl that walked in with her was much older – she seemed like she was fifteen-sisxteen and she looked strangely familiar. Before I could process further, I saw Diyu run towards Prerna and ask the same question that was going on in my mind.

"Aunty, is this Sneha?" Diya asked excitedly, but I saw Prerna's smile falter immediately and what replaced it was torment and grief, somehow I couldn't place those emotions with regard to Sneha, I was confused.

"No Diya, this is my daughter Cookie" she replied stiffly as my jaw dropped in understanding – of course she seemed familiar to me. Diya's attention was rapt on Cookie and she forgot to probe further on Sneha as they left for their rooms, leaving me to deal with the sense of my heart crushing inside me. Of course she would never bring Sneha here – what was I thinking, why'd I even hope?

Prerna:

I was with Cookie in her room while she was arranging her wardrobe, she was going to stay with me for a few weeks, it was on Mr. Babaj's insistence and I had agreed – Cookie was after all my only source of happiness and distraction from the glum pain of losing Sneha. However today my mind was wrapped around Anurag – Diya had mentioned Sneha before him today – he didn't so much as bat an eyelid, didn't he even feel a little remorse for killing his own daughter? He didn't space a second in pain or remembrance – was he even human?

Later that day Diya had come to me again, it was oddly endearing to see she was a little jealous of all the attention I was giving Cookie, she wanted my attention solely for herself.

"Aunty, when will Sneha come? Her summer vacations have started? I want to meet her!" her innocent question was tearing open my heart but what could I tell this little child, she knew nothing.

"Diya, Sneha won't come here, ever. I told you nah, she stays far away? But whenever I meet her, I will tell her about you" I said trying hard to let my voice crack. She looked disappointed first but her eyes lit up again.

"Wait, I have something for her, let me get it – give it to her from me when you meet her next!" she said and suddenly dashed out of my room with a broad smile.

Anurag:

I was in the study when Diya came rushing to me.

"Baba, baba, where is the cookie jar? The one you kept for Sneha? I need it now.." she asked earnestly; my eyes went wide! Did Sneha really come here, did Prerna really get her?

"In the kitchen, let me get it for you" I said as I jumped out of my place and dashed to the kitchen. As I handed her the jar, I asked her for Sneha's whereabouts but she just ran to Prerna's room and in the first time in eight years, I let go of all plans, masks and inhibitions as I ran behind her to meet my cutie pie – my hard was thumping so loud in excitement and exhilaration that I was finding it hard to breathe! We didn't need to reach Prerna's room, she was out there in the corridor and she looked surprised when she saw us running to her. She looked at Diyu questioningly and asked, "What?" before she turned to look up and eye me – she must have been confused to see me smiling from ear to ear.