Paradise Isn't A Thing

Comenzar desde el principio

"Okay." I replied, looking over the very familiar shopping aisles. Again. "We need strawberries, eggs, milk and oh—candles." I said, quickly plucking a candle off the shelf next to us as I walked by, and put it in the cart.

"I know it's been a while but you couldn't do magic as an anchor, so I'm curious what momentary lapse of reason.. Makes you think you can do it now?" Damon asked sarcastically and I rolled my eyes as we turned the corner and went towards the dairy section.

"You know, when all this started, you sucked at making pancakes and now, they're somewhat edible." I countered, shrugging in amusement. "Milk." I stated before he stopped the cart next to the dairy aisle. "There's no reason to be peter pessimist. We have proof we're not alone." I added, walking over to the sunglasses. I took a pair and put them on before I grabbed another pair while Damon out a carton of milk into the cart.

"First of all, don't nickname. That's my thing and second, this proof—this mysteriously filled in crossword, could have easily been you." Damon stated, walking by me and taking the sunglasses that I held out of my hand before he put them on also.

"I didn't fill it in." I stated in annoyance as we walked down the aisles again.

"No, you don't know you filled it in. You also don't know that you talk in your sleep—Eggs." Damon stated, stopping again and I turned around and opened the fridge door. I grabbed a carton of eggs before putting them in the cart next to the milk.

"What are you saying? You saying I sleep-crossword?" I asked sarcastically and Damon looked at me in pure annoyance before he took off his glasses.

"I'm saying it makes more sense than the alternative." Damon admitted and I watched as he looked away from me and started pushing the cart again.

"I get what you're doing." I pointed out with a fake smile as I took my sunglasses off also and followed behind him.

"What am I doing?" He asked sarcastically, rolling his eyes as if he didn't already know.

"You refuse to have hope that you'll see Mariana again because you don't want to be disappointed." I answered, smirking at the back of his head as he walked away from me.

"I refuse to have hope because there's nothing to hope for." Damon replied in defense as we turned down another aisle and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Pork rinds." I stated, stopping next to the section of Chex mix as Damon stopped the cart in front of me and he sighed looking down at the shopping list.

"Not on the list and ew." He replied in disgust and I rolled my eyes.

"No, Damon. There were pork rinds here on this shelf—There have been pork rinds here every week we've been here for the past four months." I pointed out and felt my voice raise as he looked at me from over his shoulder in confusion. The music from a merry-go-round started playing from outside and we both looked towards the exit doors quickly. "You hear that?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at Damon who looked at me confused. I walked towards the doors before out of the store to see a child's merry-go-round ride, fully functioning. "Hmm. Hear that, Damon?" I asked, walking towards the ride once he came outside also. "That's what hope sounds like." I stated, looking back at him with a smirk.

-Mariana-

"Do you understand the rules?" I asked, tilting my head at Enzo who ate pie from where he sat at the table across me.

"Yeah, rule one: Don't mention Elena was madly in love with Damon or you'll kill me." Enzo quoted and I smirked back at him.

"Mm-hmm." I replied, folding my arms over my chest as I watched him think closely.