Chapter • 1

It was the same as always.
I woke up with the calming feeling of soft cool winds spiralling through my light chestnut brown hair. Luke warm water splashing up over my feet, dipping my toes into the mysterious Pacific Ocean. The strong smell of salt filled my nose and the light sounds of the waves crashing on the shore flooded my ears. Soft sand pressed against my back and legs and the sun shined brightly in the blue sky free from clouds. At that moment I felt at peace.
Except for the fact that I am a ghost.
My name is Charlotte. The nightmare of how I died and the name given to me at birth are all that I remember about myself. My past life is a blur, all my memories stripped from me the night I died. The night I had died was a night I would never forget. That night, the moon shined brightly in the sky illuminating the beach and reflecting moonlight on the waves of the Pacific Ocean. I can faintly remember another person running into the ocean with me holding my hand. We had both dove in drenching ourselves in the cool feeling of the silky water against our skin which was now covered in goosebumps. The other person who I could tell was a man no older then 18, wrapped both arms around my waist enclosing me in a tight hug which sent shivers down my back. We had stood up to our elbows in the cool water, with the feeling of soft sand beneath our toes for what might have been a couple minutes but felt like an eternity. When we separated, I remember splashing some water in his face and turning to dive off under the water. When I rose he was standing just a few feet away and splashed me back. I giggled and soon we had begun a full on splashing war, kicking water into each others faces and trying to swim away from view. By the time our war had ended, we had swam so far off we could barely see the shore. We both decided that was enough for tonight and turned back heading for the beach. I had then felt something slimy and rough tangle around my ankle pulling me under the murky Pacific Ocean. I had tried to scream but ended up sucking water Into my lungs, I gagged feeling the rough nauseating taste of salt water enter my stomach and fill my lungs. I tried to kick out of grasp and the man had tried to pull me back but couldn't break the grip of whatever was down there pulling me under. Once enveloped under the dark sheet of cold water, I began frantically clawing at my throat realizing I was running out of oxygen. I kicked my legs out in all different directions and splashed my arms out in attempt to keep me above the water but gave up when learning it was no use. Accepting that it may be my last few moments on earth, I calmed myself and focused on the moon above my head shining through the dark water. The moon had kept me peaceful and calm while my eyes started to black out and my heart rate slowing at every beat. I thought of the man and how many emotions and beautiful feelings he had given me. I thought of how much I would miss him and how I would do anything to be with him as the darkness of the Pacific Ocean wrapped me deep under.