Chapter 16: Settling in

Start from the beginning

A sense of foreboding washed over me as I remembered what the ‘goods’ were. They had sold my kinswomen. I silently prayed for them to fall into gentle hands. Their fate was harsh enough as it was.

Unaware of my feelings, Mildred beamed at me. “He will arrive in time for the feast. I can’t wait!”

I stared at her blankly. Did she expect me to congratulate her on the return of her husband, after what he just did? I must have paled, for I remember suddenly feeling the cold. It sunk into my bones, and my teeth chattered.

Mildred frowned and grabbed my sleeve, rubbing the fabric between her fingers. “I didn’t realize this dress was so thin. We should have given you a cloak. Einarr Godi won’t be pleased if you catch ill.”

The mention of his name did it. I snapped at her with all my pent up sorrow. I needed to let it out somehow, and she was there.

“Well, you out of all people should remember the quality of a slave’s clothing, Mildred. How soon you seem to have forgotten it, together with your loyalty to your kin! And how eager you are to serve your master! I can’t believe you were ever Saxon…”

Mildred’s face turned into a hard mask and she slapped me twice, hard. Svana jumped between us and she pushed her away. “Let me deal with this, Svana. I’ve been in her place once, I know what she feels. She must learn fast, or she will pay for it.”

She came closer to me. I held my palms on my burning cheeks, still trying to process what had just happened. I was outraged. How dared she? No one had ever raised a hand on me.

“What was your rank before Einarr Godi took you?”

I lifted my chin proudly: “I am a lady, daughter of a thane.”

“I see. You still think you are above us. Listen to me SLAVE,” she emphasized the word, nearly spitting it, “I was a ceorl’s daughter. He was just a farmer, but I was captured in a raid, not traded by my family.”

I stared at her wide eyed. How did she know?

She shrugged, answering my silent question. “ I heard the men talk while looking for your clothes. Now I’m a free woman again. I’m above you, and you would do well to show respect for your betters. Had I been a man, you could have been killed. I should have you whipped, but I have been there.”

She pulled on the neckline of her dress, revealing the white lines on the top of her back. “I affronted Lady Disaelfr once. That’s what it got me.”

I lowered my gaze, defeated. Unruly slaves were beaten, it was the use and no one objected to it. I had seen it done in my house and thought it right. Until I found myself on the wrong side of the stick. Mildred had been kind to me and I had insulted her. What was wrong with me?

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry”, I blurted.

Mildred sighed and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. Only then did I notice that I was crying.

After that little scene I remained mute. I followed them back to the longhouse where I was given a distaff and spindle whorl with a bundle of fleece. I stood in the women’s room until my legs gave under me, spinning the rough fibers into a smooth thread. Lady Disaelfr caught me swaying and ordered me to sit. Squinting, she inspected my work and smiled approvingly.

“You have good skills, Sunngifu. Rest a moment, have some bread and water. I want to try you on the loom next.”

I bowed respectfully, remembering Mildred’s warning. I spent the rest of the day weaving fine linen for a shirt that would be worn by my owner. His mother seemed to think I would be eager to work for his benefit. She couldn’t be more wrong, but I smiled politely and focused on my hands. I was praised many times on my talent with the loom and wanted to stay on her good side. Over and over I moved the heddle rod, passed the shuttle and pushed the thread tight with the beater. The fabric had no pattern and it was repetitive. The width was only two ells, but the loom was high and I had to stand.

I was exhausted when Svana came to me, giggling.

“It’s nearly dusk. Time for a good bath.”

We collected soap, towels, oils and clean clothes and headed out. The air outside was getting close and I balked when I realized where we were going. A small stream ran a short distance behind the house, filling a natural pool. Four women soaked in it, including Mildred. How did they do it? I shook my head; the water must be so cold. I didn’t want to freeze to death.

Disregarding my reluctance, Svana dragged me ahead. Once at the edge I pulled back.

“I’d rather use a cloth and wash inside, it’s too chilly here.”

With a wicked smile, Svana took my cloak and pushed me hard. I fell in with a splash and came up coughing and sputtering, my drenched hair plastered to my face. The water was only waist deep, allowing me to stand easily in my soaked dress and shift. Around me the others were laughing.

Svana was bent over, holding her ribs in her mirth.

“How cold are you now Sunngifu?” she stammered in between breaths.

“I… I…” I wasn’t cold at all? The pool was pleasantly warm. How was that possible?

“The spring is high in the mountains, where they spit fire,” Mildred explained, drifting closer to me. “Let me help you undress.”

We struggled to remove my garb, the weight of it making it difficult. Svana join us swiftly and hauled the material on the grass. We sat in the low end, where the stones smoothed into a natural bench. I noticed that the other servants talked in low voice, stealing glances at us. One seemed angry. She was pretty, far more than me: white skin, clear blue eyes and long raven black hair. She glared at me, her delicate eyebrows twisted in an ugly frown.

“Oh oh, someone isn’t happy to be thrown out of Einarr Godi’s bed,” Svana chuckled, “I don’t know why, she always seemed sore afterwards, and he never kept her for the night or paid special attention to her…”

I rolled my eyes. If only she knew how gladly I would give her back her place! I didn’t need another enemy.

“Who is she?” I whispered to Mildred.

“She was his wife’s bondservant, he inherited her. She used to take on her mistress’ role when it came to her marital duties.”

“And why would she be envious if he hurt her? He never hurt me,” I blurted without thinking.

“Did he not?” Mildred asked, her eyebrows shooting up. “He is reputed for seeking his pleasure with little care for the woman he uses. His wife made him despise women. Why would he be gentle with you?”

“He is not gentle, he raped me.”

“Without causing you pain…” She smiled mischievously. “Did you enjoy it?”

I scoffed, trying to hide my embarrassment. I didn’t like the path her mind was taking.

“I didn’t want it, he forced me.”

My body might have betrayed me, but I still didn’t consent. I just had no other choice.

Mildred nodded.

“I know you were not willing, yet he wasn’t brutal. He had all rights to be, you belong to him. He showed you kindness, you should ponder on it. Do not disappoint him.”