:a father's pride:

Start from the beginning

He was going to be a father.

James needed to let it sink in.

"I..." he croaked, eyes glassy and awestruck, "y-you..." he gestured dumbly to her stomach.

He gibbered a bit before stilling at the sound of her tearful snickers and happy nod of confirmation.

"Yes." Lily whispered between breathy laughs. "Yes James."

"I'm going to be a father." He told himself dumbly as a goofy smile slowly stretched itself on his bemused face.

"I'm going to be a father!" He repeated in a shout, picking Lily up and twirling her around in pure unbound joy. Her laughter ringing in his ears like the echoes of silver bells.

He whooped.

Merlin, he couldn't even find the words to describe his happiness. He didn't know how to convey his feelings—his feelings of love and mirth.

James placed a quick kiss on Lily's soft lips and took out his wand.

"Expecto Patronum!" He all but bellowed. The thrum of his happiness mingling with magic vibrating through the air. A light brighter than any other he'd ever seen burst forth from his mahogany wand, shining brightly as it took form and shaped itself into the likeness of...

"Prongs." James murmured softly, becoming surprised when he glanced at his wife as she mirrored his actions and a silvery doe soon joined the three of them.

Awestruck, he brushed away his tears and took his wife's hand. They were about to become a family. Wordlessly he crouched to the ground, kneeling to place an ear on her tummy.

"Pronglet." James whispered lovingly as he felt it—the soft surge of magic that came from within Lily's uterus.

The stag and doe danced around the couple. Protectively nuzzling Lily's stomach and giving each a solemn stare filled with promise.

Prongs would always protect his Pronglet.

"You're going to be a mother." James exclaimed suddenly as the patronuses dispersed into balls of white light. "We're going to be parents..."

James paled.

"I'm going to be a father!"

His tone was panicked.

"W-what if I'm a bad father?!"

He was pacing now. Lily rolled her eyes.

"What if I'm irresponsible and they fall from a broom and break their arm?!"

James felt like he was on the brink of a panic attack. Had he forgotten to breath? Oh wait, he was hyperventilating.

He was young and immature! How could he be a good father? What if he messed up? What if his kid hated him? And if he isn't a good role model?

James flinched knowingly. He was an awful role model.

He stared at Lily in horror.

"James."

"Yes?"

"Shut up."

::

"My son is going to be the greatest kid in the world." He boasted shamelessly. "He's going to be handsome like me and smart like Lily."

Sirius grinned at James through their two-way mirrors.

"I'm sure he will!" He agreed easily. "With you two as parents there's no doubt he'll be terrific!"

"Lily and I have a bet going." James told him eagerly. "She says that he'll look like me but act like her but I think he'll have her red hair and my awesome personality."

Sirius paused at this.

"And if he's neither?"

"Then you win." Lily called as she approached. "We'll love him no matter what."

Sirius nodded absently, undoubtedly thinking back to his own parents. He wished there was someone there to support him unconditionally. A guardian appointed with the sole duty to care.

"I'm happy for both of you." The Black told them earnestly, "I can't wait to meet Jr."

"We like the name Harry." Lily told him calmly, "and we hope that he'll have great role models to help and support him."

Lily placed a hand on James's shoulder and nodded.

James perked up hopefully at the cue.

"P-Sirius...you know how you're my best friend?"

"Yeah...?"

"Um" James shuffled, "with the war going on Lily and I...well,"

Lily squeezed his hand assuringly.

"Could you—-uh,"

James furrowed his brows.

"Damn it!" He exclaimed, "be his Godfather!"

Sirius gaped in stunned silence, mouth moving without any sound escaping.

Lily sighed and resisted the urge to facepalm.

"What he means to say is that we'd be honoured to have you as Harry's godfather." Lily added, still smiling.

There was a pause.

"Padfoot...are you crying?"

There was a pitiful squeak of denial from the mirror.

"Aw Padfoot, you sentimental old dog!"

There was a splutter of indignation, however it was void of any true anger.

Sirius recovered and wiped the evidence away.

"I—you sure?"

James nodded furiously.

Sirius gulped.

"I...I promise I won't get you down." He told them fiercely, "I won't let Harry down either. I swear I'll protect him with my life!"

James simply beamed.

He was so proud.