I was the one who’d pushed him away, demanded space, yet I was so miserable. From what I’d just seen, he was miserable, too. The saddest part was there was nothing we could do about it. I’d never hurt Eirik, not even to be happy.

I leaned against Eirik’s chest and shut everything out, until Coach Fletcher entered the room. Everyone moved away from the back and grabbed seats. He waited until there was silence before he spoke.

“Most of you know that Kate’s funeral is tomorrow morning. The wake and service will be at Grandview Baptist Church on Fulton before we head to Northridge Cemetery. I’d like to see the swim team represented, so if you plan on attending, please sign up now. The wake will start at nine and the service at eleven.” He walked around and passed out clipboards, which had several signup sheets and pens. “I need the exact number of students attending the service so the school can provide us with transportation.”

He walked to the front of the class, gesturing to the students who’d just arrived to take seats. “The bus will meet here at eight-thirty. We’ll leave at ten-to-nine for the church. The bus will bring everyone back here from the cemetery. The transportation to and from school will be your responsibility. Any questions?”

No one spoke.

“Okay. Try to dress appropriately, which means black or dark colors. I know eulogies are hard to give, but it would be nice to have a student or two say something during the service.” He studied us. “Any volunteers?”

Silence. I wasn’t surprised no one wanted to speak. Kate had been one of those students we ignored. Shy and quiet, she’d blended with the background, except during meets when she shined brightly. Unfortunately, as soon as she stepped out of the pool, she would become invisible again. Now I felt guilty for having ignored her.

I glanced around, but no one raised their hand. My eyes met Cora’s from where she sat in the back. She mouthed, “Do it.”

I made a face. I hated talking in front of people. Seconds ticked past. It wasn’t fair. Kate was getting the same treatment she’d received while alive. Ignored.

“Going once… twice…” Coach Fletcher said, in an auctioneer’s voice, trying to lighten the mood.

Sighing, I raised my hand.

“Sold to Miss Cooper. Happy to know I won’t be the only one on the podium. If anyone else decides to join us, e-mail me. Okay, give me the clipboards on your way out.”

We got to our feet and filed out of the room. Cora caught up with us in the parking lot.

“Are we going to Torin’s party tomorrow night?” Cora asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

“I don’t know.” Eirik caught my eyes. “Do you want to go?”

My priority was seeing my medical records and writing a nice eulogy. “Depends on how I feel tomorrow.”

Cora rolled her eyes. “We’re going if I have to drag your sorry butts there. You are neighbors for crying out loud. How do you think he’d feel if you don’t go?” She glared at Eirik. “Your parents know his people and—”

“I don’t care how he feels,” Eirik retorted. I had a feeling he’d noticed the way Torin always stared at me.

“Can we talk about our plans for tonight? We have to work on the slideshow presentation, and I’ll need help with the eulogy.” I was already regretting volunteering.

“I’ll stop by your place in an hour or so,” Eirik said. “Are you two going to the hospital?”

I nodded. “Keith said to meet him around four.”