Chapter 2

2.  MORE THAN FRIENDS

The scent of food greeted me as I entered the house. Mom was home early, as promised, with takeout. Cooking wasn’t her thing.

“I’m home,” I called out, closing the door behind me and dropping my gym bag by the stairs. “Mom?”

“Be down in a sec.”

I went to the kitchen and got a bottle of water from the fridge. As I guzzled it, I glanced out the window at my neighbor’s house, my humiliation returning. I had to go over and thank him for fixing the mailbox. My pulse leaped at the thought, and my mouth went dry.

Think about Eirik… Think about Eirik…

I yanked the cord and closed the slats, then sneaked a cookie from the cookie jar. Chocolate chip, yummy. My favorite.

“Hey, sweetheart,” Mom said as she entered the kitchen.

I shoved the rest of the cookie in my mouth, turned, and almost choked. Her colorful, flowing skirt, gauzy duster, and matching headscarf were way over the top. Mom was a throwback to Woodstock. She had a flamboyant Boho-chic style, which matched her bubbly personality. But at times, I wished she’d dress like regular mothers. You know, wear jeans or normal pants and tops.

Unlike my boring hazel eyes and dark-brown hair, Mom’s green eyes and pitch black hair gave her an exotic appearance. She was also tall with a perfect figure for someone who didn’t work out. Me? How should I put it? My ass had a mind of its own, and my chest quit on me years ago.

“I’m sorry you had car troubles, sweetie.” She kissed my temple and enveloped me in perfume and other scents that defied description but I’d always associated with her. She leaned back and wrinkled her nose. “Eek, your hair reeks of chlorine.”

“I didn’t have time to wash it. You know, I had to take the car in,” I reminded her.

“You drove it after I told you not to?”

“I know I shouldn’t have, but I had to go and the leak was slow. Really.” I braced myself for a lecture.

She shook her head and cupped my face. “Why do you have such little regard for your life, sweetheart? Do you know what could have happened? I’d hate to lose you in a senseless accident, Raine.”

Like Dad. “I’m so sorry, Mom. I didn’t think. I drove slowly. I was even late because of it.”

She sighed and stroked my hair. “What did the shop say?”

“They fixed the leak. Did you see the e-mail about Ultimate Frisbee from Coach Fletcher?”

She frowned. “No. When did he send it?”

I sighed. Mom rarely used her computer. In fact, I’d reached the conclusion that she hated technology. She did inventory for the Mirage by hand and had piles of thick ledgers gathering dust in the den. “I don’t know, but it’s tomorrow afternoon at four.”

“Do we need to take something? Drinks? Dessert?”

Smiling, I shook my head. “It’s Ultimate Frisbee, Mom, not team dinner. How was the store?”

“Other than the broken mirror, business as usual. Go shower. I’ll keep the food warm.” She stepped back, reached down, and lifted a large paper bag from her hand-made crocheted bag. “Sweet and sour chicken, your favorite, and beef and broccoli for me.” She dug inside a bag and pulled out an egg roll, which she dangled teasingly.

I snatched it and munched on it as I headed upstairs to my bedroom. After showering, I changed into sweatpants and a shirt and headed downstairs. Halfway down the stairs, I noticed Mom in front of the mirror in the living room. She was muttering to herself while studying her reflection.