A whole week? I couldn't even remember how we got out of that building. "What happened?" 

"The angel, Cal's brother, came and stopped him. I'm not even sure what he did or said but he told us to take you to a hospital. They let us leave. The demons didn't even try to stop us." Pierce seemed baffled. "And we haven't seen them since." 

I dug into my pillow and exhaled. "They'll be back." No one gives up that easily. 

"We'll just have to look out for each other."

"I'm glad everyone is ok though." Did I just jinx myself? "Right, everyone's alive?" Nothing bad happened while I was sleeping. 

"No," Pierce comforted. "Everyone's fine and Miriam and the baby are doing great."

Awww the baby. How could I forget I was an aunt? 

"We're going to be okay Laken. All you need to focus on is healing and getting better."

I turned to gaze at Cal's restless face. He was sound asleep despite our voices distributing the atmosphere. What was he still doing here?

"He's barely left since you got here." He answered my whispered question.

"Can you give me a minute with him?"

Pierce nodded; perhaps he was finally accepting him. As he exited the room he patted Cal on the back. Cal stirred a bit before his blue eyes landed on mine. 

"Laken..." He got up and occupied the chair near my bed. 

I couldn't describe the overwhelming, undeniable warmth I was experiencing just by looking at him. My hand sought his and I laced our fingers together. 

"I really thought you'd kill me." 

"Laken," he scooted closer and cupped my face. "I don't blame you. I haven't exactly been the most trustworthy person." I tried sitting up but he quickly panicked. "Laken don't move. You need rest."

I ignored him and the pain shooting up my back. It didn't compare to the pain I would have felt if I lost him. Cal was engraved in my soul now. I pulled his face down and rested my forehead against his. I inhaled his wonderful musk, soap smell and it intoxicated me enough to forget my burdens. 

"You protected me." I could still hardly believe he kept his word. 

"I promise I'm going to die before anything happens to you." 

I tried desperately to even my breathing because my heart was going out of control. There were butterflies in my stomach but the good kind.

"Why?"

His warm breath exhaled then he kissed my cheek. The spot his lips left an imprint was burning tremendously. 

"You give me purpose. You put meaning in my life." He spoke smoothly like there was no doubt in his heart for his recent declaration. 

I closed my eyes. The pressure compressing against my chest was finally being released. To be someone's purpose...what did that even really meaning? Was that my purpose, to be his purpose?

"Do you love me?" Honestly I don't know what possessed me to ask. Would he really tell me the truth?

I felt the bed dip as Cal got closer to me. He kissed my forehead with such gentleness that it practically answered my question. Then he pulled my head to his chest as he forced me to lay down with him. It was nice and warm in his arms. 

"Let's not talk about that now."

Despair wasn't something I let myself feel often. It weighs us down but the slight rejection did make my stomach quench. 

"What's next?"

Cal massaged my back adding to the comfortable haven he had created for me. "Just the hope for a better tomorrow."

THE END

_______________________________

What do you think? Do you guys want to know more about Cal and Laken? Should I write a sequel?

"Divine Purpose" will be put in the watty awards so please if you haven't already vote for every chapter, spread the word, do whatever you can. I will appreciate all the love and support. You guys are the best and I write for you. So if you loved this story as much as I did please, please, please with a cherry on top vote for "Divine Puropse" when the watty awards come around. It will be under the spiritual catagory. 

Thank you for reading. God bless you guys.