Chapter 6

By Sunday I still couldn't make up my mind if he was real or not. No one had actually seen me in the bathroom with him so I had no witnesses. The pain from having my head bashed against the wall was completely gone. There was nothing else to link him to reality with. The girls didn't even really notice my absence. I guess they were having a lot more fun than I thought.

I tried blocking him out for a period of time and since I was a Sunday school teacher I didn't need any distractions. I adored the kids in my classroom. They were energetic and willing to learn making my job a little easier.

Today we talked about Peter, one of Jesus's disciples, who had denied Christ three times. The reason he denied Christ was because he was scared and feared he would share the same horrific death Jesus received. We're kind of like that today too. Sometime we don't speak out about our Christian beliefs because we are afraid to be ridiculed. It's a weakness we need to break out of.

Once class was over I stayed behind to organize a few things. Kids can get a little too carefree and leave a mess a mile high.

"Need any help?" I heard my father's voice come in.

"Nah, I'm almost finished."

"How was class today?"

I shoved the last piece of random paper back into its folder before sitting on the table and facing my father. "It went well."

My father nodded.

"Father can I ask you something?" Maybe he could answer a few of my questions.

My father crossed the room and sat in front of me, waiting patiently for me to continue.

"Have you ever had something, something bad but might possibly be good, follow you around?" How do I explain the man in my dreams aka my imaginary friend?

No one in my family had ever really had a demon follow them or taunt them to the extreme I have. But I wasn't even sure if he was a demon or evil force. It was becoming clearer he wanted to hurt me but he warned me. Evil souls don't have consciences.

My father raised a curious brow. "Not exactly. Why do you ask?"

I signed. I couldn't tell him. We were supposed to be the strongest, the ones set in stone. Nothing should be able to haunt us. We killed evil things everyday. How could one follow me around? I was too ashamed to tell my father, especially when I didn't know if my imaginary friend wanted to really harm me or not. I guess a part of me wanted to just be sure before I destroyed him. Maybe it was his face. I was a sucker for cute, hot, unbelievably gorgeous faces.

"I don't know. I just..." I bit my lip. I can't tell him. What if he thinks I'm weak?

My father took in my struggle and decided to speak again. "When Mary was pregnant with Jesus many did not believe her story. How could a virgin get pregnant? She was ridiculed and branded as an adulterous. She was then isolated from the rest of the world until an angel came down to Joseph and made him believe. Joseph took her and with his faith married her despite what everyone else thought they knew."

I thought about it. "What are you trying to say?"

"Sometimes the things following us are sent from God. He doesn't hand us anything we can't handle."

My father's words were slowly sinking in. Maybe this was a test or temptation I had to withstand. Maybe this imaginary friend was sent to me on purpose. I just had to hold my faith and battle through. I was strong enough. I could deal with it.

"Thanks father. I really needed to here that."

The rest of week was surprisingly very quiet. My imaginary friend was absent and nowhere to be seen. I was sure it was all part of his plan. He wanted me to get extremely confused and possibly go crazy. And maybe he was winning because I was constantly questioning my sanity.