Fire: The Mistake

Your POV
My birthday was soon, but I didn't care. I had almost been here for four years now. Azula had played several "games" since the day she broke my music box... a lot of my stuff got destroyed. I stopped wearing my necklace and hid it in fear that one day, I'd lose that too. There was a knock on my door. I rose from my bed slowly, and walked over to open it.

My gaze was angled towards the ground. "Prince Zuko requests your presence." I nod, and head towards his room. I walk into his room. "You called your majesty?" He stood up, and grabbed my wrist. "I want to show you something come with me." He then pulls me out of the room and starts leading me somewhere.

"Apologies your majesty b—" I start but he stops me. "Don't call me that. Just call me Zuko. Please." I stay quiet. Soon we get to a small field. "Yo—" he gives me a look. "Z-Zuko..." I continued quietly, he smiled at me. "Why? Why did you bring me here?" I asked, he grinned more. "Watch." He ran forward, and suddenly thousands of butterflies flew up and around us.

I gasped. It was beautiful.

 It was beautiful

"Whoa..." I whispered. I had a small smile on my face, it continued to grow as the butterflies continued around us. "Isn't it beautiful?" Zuko asked coming up next to me. I turned to look at him, but I caught myself and looked back towards the butterflies. "Y-yeah... I-it is...." I responded quietly. "Oh! I have something for you." What? "Y-your majesty, I-I mean Zuko y-you didn't have to an-and you really sho—" I stopped when I heard a familiar tune.

I turned towards the sound, it was a music box. "Wh-what's this?" I asked not looking at him. "Come on (Yn), look at me." I slowly met his eyes. "It's a little early for your birthday, but I know how much that box meant to you... so... my Uncle helped me fix and make you a new one. I know I-it's probably not the same but—" I hugged him, before I panicked and backed away apologizing, face slightly red.

He laughed. "It's alright (Yn)." He holds the box out to me. "Happy birthday." I take the box and stare at it. I look up at him, then back at the box. Then slowly I look back at him. "Thank you so much... you... you have no idea how happy this makes me." He smiles, "Lets get back before we get into trouble." He takes my wrist again and starts leading us back to the palace.

~Timeskip a little over a year~

I was now ten. The music box Zuko gave me had yet to be broken. And I was thankful for that. Soon I was called to the throne room. The Fire Lord had a request for me. I walk in and I am about to ask what he needed, when I'm suddenly on the floor. "I'm so sorry (Yn)." Zuko's voice says above me. He extends his hand. "It's okay Zuk— I-I mean your majesty." His eyes widened, as did mine. What have I done? He helped me up, and took his spot next to his father.

I stood there waiting. The silence was tense and it terrified me. "Did you just speak to my son without a proper title?" "My deepest apologies, it was a simple mistake." "A mistake you shall not make again." He stood from his seat, my eyes widened more, but I stayed staring at the ground. Sweat began to form on my temple.

He had spoken words but the were blurred out by my fear, then suddenly I let out a violent scream. "Get out of my sight, and do not return." I quickly left, I went to pack my things as quickly as possible, and in the panic I knocked the music box on the ground. I cried more as it shattered against the ground. No... I took my things out on my necklace and I ran. The salty tears making my fresh burn worse. I ran through the Fire Nation, then I was out.

Alone.