“Merry Christmas” she smiles, kissing my cheek.
“Merry Christmas” I return.

I feel guilty, even though I have done nothing wrong. I push the guilt away, remembering I almost didn’t live to see this Christmas, so I’m not going to let anyone ruin it for me. She grabs my hand pulling me into the living room and she grabs a present from beneath the tree handing it to me. I smile and I open it eagerly. I open the present to reveal a white box and when I open it I see a beautiful pair of black heeled shoes. I squeal in delight at the expensive designer shoes, I have several different pairs similar, but these are limited addition.

“I love them” I tell her “Thank you”.

I hug her tightly and she seems genuinely happy that I like them. I go under the tree myself and I get out the present I bought for her. She smiles taking it from me and she quickly opens it. She squeals delighted, hugging me tightly. “I have wanted this for so long thank you” she gushes. I smile knowing she had wanted the expensive makeup brushes for ages, but she never got around to buying them.

“What did Louis get you?” I ask, once she has settled down.
“Nothing” she answers “We decided not to bother this year”.

I find that sad when you stop buying for your partner, I get it when you have children, but not when you just get married. I don’t want to say that to her, so I keep my lips buttoned. I can tell though she is bothered more than she is letting on to me. Louis walks in and he smiles as he sees me with my present beside me, I fake a smile at him.

“Do you like them?” he asks me.
I nod “Yes thank you” I walk to him and hug him, knowing it would be weird otherwise. I need to just act normal like nothing has happened.
“This is your present” I say getting the other gift from under the tree. I hand it to him and he takes it, opening it.
“Woah thanks love” he smiles, admiring the designer shirt I have bought him. He seems happy with his present, which pleases me.

We all settle in the living room and I feel uneasy being sat next to Louis. It was only last night that we were sat on this sofa and he tried to kiss me.

“You guys got a hangover?” Eleanor asks, smirking.
“Yep” Louis answers, tapping his long fingers against his knee.

Eleanor laughs and she tells me they have to go to Louis’ and her parents’ house for a little while. They invite me, but I decide to stay here. It will give me time to reflect on everything that has happened and I can ring Niall too.

***

The day goes by quickly and I spend much longer than I should have done on the phone to Niall. I miss him so much and it has only been a day. He makes me feel better by claiming he misses me too, but I’m not sure how much I believe him. I know he will be having way too much fun to even think about me.
The front door opens, Louis and Eleanor are back already. I end my call with Niall and they walk in, placing a large sack of presents down, which I assume are from their families.  

“You have a nice time?” I ask.
“Yes” Eleanor says, rubbing the back of her neck.

She seems on edge and she goes off into the kitchen. Louis has a face like thunder and when I look at him questionably, he quickly smiles.

“Fancy a buck’s fizz?” he asks.

My headache has gone now and another drink sounds nice, so I nod. He walks into the kitchen and I follow him. Eleanor is stood by the oven, starting to prepare the meal. I sit down at the kitchen table, watching her and she seems miles away.

“Want a buck’s fizz?” Louis asks her.

She turns to him looking surprised and I see her eyes light up as she stares at him. She loves him so much, it feels cruel knowing what Louis is really like.